𝙨𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣

Del sat on the wood floor of the house. Only a few candles gave her light. Almost everyone was asleep, all in the living room together. There was a feeling of relief and love circulating through the house.

"Can Jake come upstairs with me? They have really good comics up there." Carl stood in the doorway. He had seemed to grown since the last she had seen him.

"That's fine."

They took off running, up the stairs, Rick watched them take off with a smile, Judith in his arms.

"Carl missed him." He swayed Judith to sleep.

"I know Jake missed him too. Carls a good friend."

"We're just happy to see you guys alive."

"Don't get me started." Del smiled. She hadn't felt this content in a long time.

"I'm grateful. Good night, Del." He headed off into one of the bedrooms. She looked around to see everyone asleep. Maggie and Glenn laid cuddled together. It gave her peace knowing they got to be together again.

Annie and Abel laid cuddled up with Tara, snoring.

"Hey," Daryl whispered, leaning in the doorway, shaking a pack of cigarettes.

Del stepped out into the dark, the sounds of the night swallowed them up as they sat on the porch steps. The glow of Daryls lighter was their only source of light. He handed her a cigarette before putting one in his own mouth.

She inhaled deeply, holding the smoke in her lungs. She could feel herself relax.

"I needed this." The cigarette hung from her lips.

"Thought ya had some while you were gone?"

"I'm not talking about the cigarette. Im talking about seeing everyone together... alive. We just need to find Beth and it will be complete."

"I tried to keep her safe... I really tried."

"We don't have to talk about it. You did what I asked you to, back at the prison. To keep everyone safe, and you tried your best. It's not your fault."

"Beths gone... Hershels dead. I promised ya-"

"Don't. I just got you back, don't you start blaming yourself for things out of your control. You did good." She intertwined his fingers with hers. He looked down at their hands, squeezing.

"I missed ya.."

"I missed you... So much."

They looked at each other, each of their eyes scanned each others face. She wanted to take in every detail. He looked more rough, more tired than at the prison.

"Ya okay?" His voice was gentle. She could see the guilt behind his eyes.

She thought about the real answer. She was so happy but a part of her still felt like it was missing. She wasn't the same person as she was back at the prison. A part of her heart felt like it was missing. She didn't know if it was Beth, or Hershel, or even herself, but something was missing.

"I'm alive, and thats all I can ask for."

He tossed his cigarette to the dirt, watching the glow fade from it.

"You ain't the same. I can see it on your face."

She looked down at her feet, thinking back to everything that had happened.

"I killed the governor. I slit his throat... and I loved it. I killed Annie and Abels parents... and I felt nothing. I don't want to be like this. I don't want to be cold." Her voice began shaking. She missed the girl she was at the prison. She hadn't touched a drop of alcohol, she was happy with Daryl, she wasn't a murderer.

"You did what you need to survive. You ain't cold. I've seen cold people, Del."

She nodded, sniffling.

"Ya wanna..." She knew he was asking if she wanted to lay together.

"Maybe tomorrow night. I need to be with Kay and Jake."

He nodded understandingly. She stood, giving him a soft kiss on the forehead before heading in.