𝙗𝙞𝙜 𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙮

: ̗̀➛
I stepped outside, taking in a deep breath of air. The sun hitting my face made me feel like I was on top of the world.
"Court yard cleared. You helping with the fences today?" Rick stood beside me with his hands on his belt. He always looked like a sheriff to me.
"No. I think i'm going to spend time with Hershel for a little. I don't want him to be bored. Can you handle my work?"
He smiled, nodding.
"I'll try." He walked towards the fences, joining Maggie, Glenn, and T-dog.
I watched them walk along the fence. I felt so safe behind the fences. I hated myself for getting my hopes up.
Daryl joined my side, sparking up a cigarette. I watched him puff on it before taking it from his lips, taking a long drag.
"Almost out if em."
"Gonna make a run for some?" I puffed.
"Nah. Maggie and Glenn are planning a run at the end of the week."
"Excuse me." We turned to see one of the prisoners and his buddy walking towards us.
"The hell-" I put my hand on Daryls chest to keep him from exploding.
"Yeah?" I stepped forward.
"I'm Big Tiny. This is Andrew." He smiled.
"Delilah... And Daryl."
"I just wanted to say sorry about your dad.. you know.. his leg and all. I brought you something for him." He pulled a book from his waistband, handing it to me. "For you to read to him, so he don't get bored."
I took the book. Tom Sawyer.
"Thank you." I smiled at him.
"Yeah... and uh.. if you don't mind could I bum one of those?" He nodded to the cigarette hanging from my lips. I looked at Daryl, who just kept his eyes locked on the pair. I took the one from my mouth, handing it to Big Tiny.
"Here ya go."
"Thank you. Been awhile since I-"
"The hell are you doing?" Rick marched up, "I told you keep your distance."
"It's okay." I tried to diffuse the situation.
"No, it's not okay-"
"Look man, we don't want problems. We just get lonely." Big Tiny put his hands up in defense.
"Really, Rick, I don't mind," I reassured, he stepped back, "You guys have a good day." Big Tiny thanked me again before the pair walked off.
"Del, those men-" Rick started.
"I'm a big girl, Rick."
He hesitantly nodded before making his way back to the group by the fences.
"Handed out my last cigarette," Daryl mumbled.
"Don't be like that."
"I just don't like them talking to you."
"You jealous?" I teased, but he actually stayed quiet for a second.
"Stop it. I just want you safe. Don't get friendly with strangers."
"Weren't you a stranger at one point?"
"Yeah but I know that I would never hurt you."
I fell silent, my face going hot. I bit down on my lip, avoiding eye contact with him.
"Just be safe." He said before following behind Rick.

: ̗̀➛

"... His Saturday holiday into captivity at hard labor became adamantine in its firmness."
"That can be all for today, Del." Hershel laid his hand on the top of the book.
"You feeling okay?"
"I feel awful," he smiled, "But I am alive, and for that, I thank god."
I gave him a half smile, shutting the book and laying it on the bed beside him.
"You get some rest." I stood.
"I can't sleep until the rest get back from clearing the halls."
"They'll be okay, they got those prisoners helping them."
"I hope you're keeping your distance like Rick asked."
I felt guilty, like a child caught in a fib. So I lied, for Hershels sake.
"I am. You rest now."
I left his cell, making my way towards mine.
"Del." Lori half jogged to me.
"You okay?" I looked down at her pregnant belly. It seemed like it grew more everyday.
"Yeah, as okay as I can be. I just wanted to make sure you're okay. Why didn't you go with the rest?"
"Need to stay and make sure Hershels okay."
"You are a blessing to everyone, you know that?"
I couldn't help but smile thinking that I actually made a difference.
"Just want to make everyones lives a little easier."
"You do more than that. You've saved a few of us, on more than one occasion."
"You trying to butter me up to ask for a favor?" I smiled.
"No. I just wanted to let you know. I know you're missing your family and all..."
I felt an instant sadness hit me, thinking of my siblings and David.
"Yeah, but I'll be okay. We've all lost someone." I adjusted my engagement ring.