𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙘𝙝

: ̗̀➛
      5 months later

      I curled up into a ball, trying to squeeze the rising sun from my eyes for just a few more minutes of sleep in the warmth.
      "Del, it's time to wake up. We gotta get a start on the day." Hershels voice made me sigh, sitting up from the mattress.
      "I'm so tired."
      "We all are, but Rick needs you to help search the woods today."
       "To find more of nothing? I'm starving... and cold."
       "We all are."
       I thought of Kay. I wondered if she was hungry and cold, if she was dead. I just kept telling myself she was only a few steps behind us. She was coming after me.
      I pulled myself to my feet, slipping an extra coat on. I could see my breath.

: ̗̀➛

     "Dad, i'm cold." Carl held himself as leaves fluttered on the ground around us. Rick sighed heavily.
       "I know, Carl."
       I pulled off my jacket, goosebumps crept down my arms as the cold air hit me.
       "Here, kiddo." I wrapped my jacket around him.
       "You don't have to do that." Rick shook his head.
       "I'll be fine." I gave him a weak smile. He nodded a thank you to me as we all weaved through the trees.
       "There's nothing out here. We haven't seem a house in miles." Glenn complained, cupping his hands over his mouth.
      "Just another hour then we can head back." Rick was stressed. I could see it. He had been for awhile. We all had just gradually decided he was the leader and having nowhere for us to go was killing him.
      "We have to find somewhere soon, dad. Mom is gonna give birth soon."
       Rick dragged his hand down his face, "I know, son."
       I gave Rick a forced smile.
      "We'll find somewhere... Don't worry."
       A sharp whistle from Daryl came up ahead. We all jogged up to an path opening. There was a section of open trees. We joined Daryls side, following his gaze.
       "Oh my god." I felt my body weaken from joy. A prison. A huge prison. Big yards. I could see myself there now. Gardening, sleeping, taking a shower.
       A smile cracked across Ricks face.
       "Thats it."