𝙡𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙛𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙝

: ̗̀➛
I sat beside Hershel. It was only me, him, Maggie and Beth. I could hear everyone else talking but I couldn't at the same time.
"We don't know... He... Nobody should be in here with him when he wakes up... It's not safe," Rick muttered. My head snapped toward him.
"We are not leaving him."
He looked sad for us. It made me want to scream that everyone expected the worst.
Rick sighed, slowly pulling out a pair of handcuffs and cuffed Hershels wrist to the bunk.
"I'm sorry." He left the cell.
"Daddy..." Maggie combed her fingers through his hair. I took my hand away from his, grabbing Beth and hers.
"Pray." I rubbed my thumbs gently on the top of their hands. Beth rested her head on my shoulder.

: ̗̀➛

"Hey." Daryl stood at the cell door. I said nothing back, keeping my eyes on Hershel.
"I brought you some beans." He set them on the bed. I glanced at him as he turned away to leave.
"Thank you." My voice broke. I was so scared. I was alone. Maggie and Beth had left to get some sleep but I promised them I wouldn't leave his side. I wouldn't even if I didn't promise. I wasn't scared of him attacking me, I was scared being stuck with my thoughts of him dying by myself.
He sat next to me, staring at Hershel.
      "He'll be okay," he mumbled.
      "You don't know that. You're only saying that because it feels like the right thing to say."
       He looked down at his feet.
       "Yeah, but Hershel... he's a strong old man. You can't just give up your hope."
       "Coming from you?"
       "No. I just felt like it was the right thing to say."
       I smiled sadly, reaching back for Hershels hand.

: ̗̀➛

Maggie wiped the damp cloth on my face softly. Glenn stood behind her. He was following us around like we were asylum patients.
"Did you get it all?" I asked, seeing the rag stained red from the cleaned up blood.
"Mhm." She nodded, dropping the rag back into the bucket. I sighed, sitting on the stairs.
"What are we gonna go, Mags?"
"I... I don't know."
I looked at her. She looked so sad, and it shattered my already broken heart. I pulled her into a hug. She clung onto me. I felt her tears wet my shoulder.
"I got you." I pulled back, wiping her tears from her cheeks, "And Bethy has you. And him." I nodded to Glenn, who looked like a lost puppy. I appreciated him.
She nodded, dragging herself back into the cell. Glenn turned to follow her but I grabbed his arm.
"Thank you."
He nodded, giving me a pity smile.
"Can I ask you for a favor?" I lowered my voice.
"Yeah, anything."
"If Hershel wakes up... and he's... not himself... I need you to... do it."
"What?"
"Glenn, please. It cant be his daughters, and I can't do it. He would want you to protect his girls. Please."
He looked as if he was thinking about it before hesitantly nodding. I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him gently.

: ̗̀➛

I stared out the prison bars on the windows, watching the sun slowly go down.
"You okay?" Rick joined my side.
"No. Did you talk to those guys?"
"I told them they get one cell block and we get one. We get majority of food."
"And everyone is okay with that?"
"God no. Lori is losing her mind knowing shes sleeping next to criminals."
"But you think it's the right thing to do?"
"I hope so."
"You've never steered us wrong."
He smiled at me.
"I just came to deliver some news." He placed a hand on my shoulder. My heart began pounding.
"Is he dead?" My throat tightened just saying those words.
"He's awake."
Oh god. I flew down the stairs to his cell. Everyone crowded in, giving Hershel water and wetting his head.
Maggie and Beth looked at me with happy, teary eyes. I fell to my knees beside him, happy tears spilling down my face.
"Thank god." I grabbed his hand. He smiled weakly at me, giving my hand a squeeze.
"You didn't lose faith in me, did you?"
I laughed, I felt euphoric, looking to the sky with gratitude.
"Not for one second."