𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜

: ̗̀➛
      "They're dropping that boy off somewhere today." Kay sat at the couch, her bible open in her lap.
      "Who?"
      "Shane and Rick."
      "I thought they were killing him?"
      "Guilty conscience, I guess." She shrugged.
      "Yeah, I guess." I thought about Dale, wondering if thats why they decided against it, wondering if Daryl thought it was a good idea. I shook the thought from my head.
      "You wanna join me?" Kay nodded to her bible.
     "Nah, I gotta go get some water from the well. I need to wash some clothes."
     I pumped the well faucet, filling a bucket.
     "Good to see you back." Carol smiled widely at me.
     "Yeah, I guess I was just real tired."
      "Well you got two days to make up for it, thats good."
     "Yeah... How uh... how are you?"
      She sighed, looking at her feet like she was in deep thought before answering.
      "I feel like shit, honestly. I miss my daughter, but I think deep down I was already prepared for what happened. How are you feeling?"
       "Like shit too." We both laughed.
       "Hey, would you mind trying to talk to Daryl? He just been quiet.. more than usual, you know? And I know you guys get along like a house of fire."
      My stomach turned thinking about it, but for some reason I felt like I owed Carol. Maybe it was guilt.
      "Yeah... I will... after Rick and Shane are back tonight, just so everyones settled down, ya know."
      "Thanks."

   : ̗̀➛

Before

      "I love you." Davids fingers traced my naked body. I stared at the wall. I felt so tired.
      "Del?" He leaned over me to look at my face.
       "I need to go see my daddy."
        "What?" He laughed his toothy laugh in disbelief, "No, Del. You don't owe him anything."
      I sat up, running my fingers through my hair.
       "He's dying, David."
        "Del, he beat-"
        "I know what he did, David. But he's... he's dying..."
        "Then let him."
         I whipped my head to look at him, disgusted with his coldness.
         "He's my dad!"
        "He-"
         "I already lost momma, David! I can't believe you!"
          "Hey," He grabbed my hand, "I'm sorry. You know whats best, you always do, okay? But I can't meet him. I can't go with."
          "Okay." I nodded, rubbing my thumb on his hand. He smelled like expensive cologne. A smell I would remember. He was so beautiful. His dark brown skin always made mine look extra pale. His skin was so soft. His hair was so long and gorgeous. I knew daddy wouldn't like him anyway.
          "Okay." He smiled back.

   : ̗̀➛

       Now

       "You okay?" I joined Loris side at the kitchen window. She chewed down her nails.
       "It's dark. They still aren't back."
       "It's gonna be okay."
       She shook her head, looking at me with such worry and sacredness in her eyes.
        "I'm gonna go after them."
        "What? No!" I grabbed her arm, maybe too tightly. "Lori, you're pregnant... You can't-"
         "I'm either going by myself or you can come with me."
         "Lori.."
          "I'm serious."
         "I will lock you in a room, Lori-"
          "Like you love to do?" She snapped back coldly. I looked at her in confusion in her hatefulness.
         "I know your hormones are all over the place but-"
        "Oh god." Headlights filled up the kitchen through the window as she rushed out the door. I followed behind, Rick and Shane climbed out.
         "Is everyone okay?" Rick asked as Lori embraced him, the group slowly surrounded the pair in concern.
         "Yeah, yeah. We're okay... did you do it?" Lori replied. Shane and Rick exchanged a heated look. They looked horrible. Both of them.
        "Rick?" Lori questioned.
       "We couldn't... He.. he knows Maggie and Delilah. It's not safe. He could know where the farm is."
        I looked over to see Daryl staring at me. He didn't break his eye contact even after I caught him.
        "I don't know him, neither does Mags." I shook my head.
        "Well he knows y'all," Shane answered shortly.
         "Now what? We kill him?" T-dog questioned. Silence fell.
         "Lets get these two inside and discuss this tomorrow." Hershel guided Rick and Shane into the house as everyone fell back into what they were doing. Daryl and I stayed still for a moment too long, just looking at each other.