𝙛𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙪𝙨

2 months later

Daryl held Dels hand as she sat on the dirt. The barn stunk. It was cold, but it was safer than the past houses. She was tired of moving. She party regretted leaving the church, but she knew Rick wouldn't have left if he didn't think it was the right choice.

Her belly had begun to show, just a little bump, but noticeable. It was easier for her to track how far along she was then. Carol told her she was probably around three months at that point. Del didn't count it as long she had been pregnant, but how much time she had left. It felt like the days were ticking down and they were no closer to a safe place. A place with a doctor. She only had around six months left, and that didn't feel like enough time.

"Me and Rick are gonna go search the houses close by tomorrow, look for some food."

"I'll come with."

"No, you stay here and rest."

"I've had enough rest. I need to move around."

"It ain't safe-"

"Daryl, I know what i'm doing. It's not like I lost all my experience when I got pregnant."

He tucked his lips, nodding before sliding down the wall next to her.

He stared down at her stomach. He treated her like she was so fragile, and it drove her insane. Everyone did. She saw the pity looks they gave her, that they thought she would have to give birth on some dirty floor in the middle of nowhere.

"You scared?" He asked quietly. He could read her face, he always knew, even if he didn't say it.

"Are you?"

He shook his head, but she knew the truth, "Nah, we'll figure it out, we always do."

"I don't know. It's different this time. There's pressure, a time limit."

He didn't say anything back, she knew he understood the seriousness, but he avoided talking about it because he didn't want her to ever worry.

"I'll have to get some of those ugly maternity clothes soon." She picked at her nails, staring down at her round belly.

"Maternity clothes?"

"For like, big bellies, ya know?"

He snickered, looking down at her stomach.

"You're gon look like a balloon."

"Thanks." She rolled her eyes, already uncomfortable with her belly.

"Ya welcome, sweetheart." He gave her a kiss on the head before standing.

"Where you going?"

"Just gonna smoke a cig. I'm up first for watch. You get some rest."

: ̗̀➛

Daryl stood outside the barn doors, sucking down the cigarette. He wondered if he should stop smoking since he was going ti be a dad. He didn't know right and wrong for fatherhood, it wasn't like he had a good example.

"Can I have one?" Jakes voice almost made him jump.

"Whatta ya doin' out here?"

"Had to take a leak... Can I?" He nodded to the cigarette. Daryl debated it for a second before handing him one from his pack, lighting it for him.

"Don't tell your sister."

"I won't if you don't."

"Ah, I'll be in as much trouble as you."

"Doubt that," Jake laughed.

They both stood side by side, looking out at the night. Worries and stress bore down on both of them, in that moment, Daryl saw Jake as a grown man.