Call For Help

In the far reaches of Sol, on Neptune it was almost peaceful for the Guardian as she sat down on the couch in the apartment Nimbus had gifted to her a few hours previously, hands holding up her new machine gun which had belonged to the late Rohan.

They had just got back from the Black Garden and Osiris had just return to the tower as well, leaving The Guardian alone with her thoughts for a few short moments.

She's been on Neptune for a few days now and it's been nonstop fighting. She hasn't gotten the chance to just sit down and rest, too busy helping clean up the mess she made on the planet.

Nimbus didn't deserve to clean up all of it on his own —because he was on his own now thanks to her— but if they were being honest with themselves, there was another reason entirely why they haven't gone back to the tower yet.

They lost...

And it was all her fault.

If she had been quicker, if she hadn't been so stupid The Witness wouldn't have taken control of Ghost. How many times has he controlled her partner? How many times has he done so right in front of her?

She should've anticipated his moves, she should've known that he would try so again and make the link, she should've...

She should have never pointed her gun at her friend...

The memory makes her taste bile in the back of her throat, shame and guilt crawl up her spine every time she watches herself replay that memory, that one moment where she had sights on her friend, her partner and the moment where her shaky finger was hovering over the trigger.

The worst part is she's glad, glad that she didn't do it...

She possibly doomed the whole universe just because she couldn't shoot her friend, yet here she is, sitting in her apartment and silently so happy that he's still alive to be with her.

He's been with her for years, through everything she's been through, he's always been a steady presence, someone she could rely on no matter what.

The thought of living the rest of her live without him by her side, makes her want to vomit up all these feelings stirring inside her stomach.

She could give a damn about her light powers, she would gladly give them all up if it meant saving her best friend.

She knew realistically that she was The Vanguard's heavy hitter, the main defender on the front lines to protect the tower and all its citizens but in the moment, all she cared about was the fact that she had almost killed her best friend...

"Guardian?"

The sudden voice kicked her out of her thoughts, shaking her head and turning to her right to see ghost in his favorite shell floating above her shoulder.

He had practically begged her to earn it for him by participating in trials, and she had accepted without any hesitation. But if you ask her, she thinks Saint had given it to her because he knew what she was after.