65. Familiarites

Your bag was full of groceries as you walked up to Steve's apartment. You had to admit, it was annoying how this complex only had stairs. Guess Steve never thought about such things with the serum pumping in his veins, but for you? You felt it. Of course, he also had to live high up in this complex too. You swore low as you took the finale step to your floor. You tilted your head confused, when you saw the shadow appearing in front of you.

"What are you doing here?" You asked, not caring for how rude it might come across.

"Hello to you too," Bucky said, swiftly turning around to face you.

Okay, so you were going to be truthful. You had been avoiding Bucky. It was awkward. At least, you felt like it was awkward. Ever since the three of you... hang out together, you found it difficult. What were you going to say to the man you had slept with, but who also wasn't your boyfriend, but the best friend of your boyfri- You stopped yourself there. Your thoughts went too fast. Steve was not your boyfriend.

"Steve invited me," He said walking over to you. He tried to take the grocery bags for you, but you held them to yourself. He laughed low.

"Still a little bit twitchy, are we?" He asked, looking down at you.

You rolled your eyes at him.

"I'm not twitchy," You insisted.

"So why don't you let me take your groceries," He said, with a hidden smirk on his lips.

You stood still.

"Let's not act like we're not going to the same person," Bucky continued.

You huffed by his arrogance and gave him the bags. If he so badly wanted to carry it, then you would gladly let him. You began walking towards the door, Bucky walking right behind you. You didn't need to look at him, to know that he enjoyed this whole situation. It's rare when someone can feel more uncomfortable than him in a room. He appreciated being on the other side of that coin.

Bucky leaned gently over your shoulder, ready to knock when he saw you pull out a key. He laughed low, of course. Steve was smart. He was working fast. Steve knew that he couldn't offer you many things, regarding the two of your roles, but at least he could make his home a haven for the two of you. Bucky nodded lightly as the two of you walked in.

"Steve, I'm-... Were here," You shouted out, looking over at Bucky.

Steve walked out from the kitchen as he walked over to you. He smiled and wrapped his hands around your waist as he kissed your lips softly. He noticed how you stood fairly still, not moving too much. He ignored it and looked up at Bucky with a smile. Steve already assumed that the reason you froze was because you felt awkward with Bucky here. Which was this evening mission to get rid of. Bucky was Steve's best friend, he did not want the two of you to feel weird around each other.

Was it too much of you to wish that Steve could've at least just given you a heads up? You knew he was friendly with most, but this just... it wasn't a normal friendship. You put on a fake smile and took the bags out of Bucky's hands. You walked over to the open kitchen, put down the grocery bags on the kitchen counter before you looked up at the two men.

"Why don't the two of you go on and do... boys stuff? I'll prepare dinner," you said, beginning to prep.

Both were laughing.

"You sound like a mothe-" you didn't let Bucky finish the sentence.

"Nope, Nope I won't hear it!" You said waving your finger in the air.

Steve shrugged low, he knew he shouldn't laugh. He walked over to your side of the counter and began to take out the things from your bags. When everything was out, he gently stepped a bit back.

"Better idea, we do it together, and you tell us what to do," Steve said with a gentle smile.

You looked up at him, almost a bit confused. Did he have a choke? Did he truly say that you could tell them what to do? He let you manage them? You weren't sure if he was good, but you were going to take him up on the offer. You looked around.

"If you could begin cutting the vegetables, I would appreciate it," You said looking up at Steve, he gave you a nod and found the things needed. You looked up at Bucky, who waved his hands in the air, ready for you to give him an assessment.

"Uhm, you can prep the potatoes? You only need to-" You began to explain, before Bucky interrupted you taking full responsibilities of his task. You looked over at him confused.

Steve laughed low.

"He grew up with his little sister, he is good," Steve answered your confusion.

You nodded silently. You began fixing what you were supposed to be fixing, but your head was still stuck on the information Steve had just given you. Bucky had a sister. He didn't really...look like the kinda guy with a sister. At the same time, it gave so much sense. Your head was conflicted, as more question were crashing to your head. You looked up at Bucky, the same time you were peeling the shrimp.

"You have a little sister?" You asked.

Bucky looked up at you laughing low. He knew you were surprised.

"You surprised?" He teased.

You shrugged.

"Maybe a little," You answered honestly.

"Her name was Rebecca, we learned a lot from each other," he said with a gentle smile.

Rebecca was five years younger than him, and sadly because of their parents' death they got separated from each other. Bucky had learned that she survived the wars, even if she had worked as a nurse in the field. He was proud of her, even if she wasn't with him anymore. Sibling bond is the kind of connection where time and context doesn't matter, you just have that pure love for each other.

"You into seafood?" Bucky asked back, trying to keep a conversation. It was clearly what Steve wanted.

You nodded.

"I moved around a lot, but my father was navy... I might not like my own experience with the military or him, but I always liked the ocean," you said with a light smile.

Look at you two. Connecting. Steve was happy.