72. Independence

You sat at the airport tapping your foot. It was no hiding your nerves. It was too much, even for you too hide. You felt like you had escaped one crises for another, and now you were running face front into another. If Steve was here he would tell you how unwise and childish you were behaving, but Steve... Steve wasn't here. You were on your own.

If you had seen right in the picture, it wasn't any man waiting for you in London. You knew it would be dangerous, and what you were about to face where beyond your normal scale of action. However, this had to be done. You knew what the other's where going to say, that you were insane. Everyone beside Tony. Tony must have understood who you were about to face as well, and he let you leave. It meant that he believed that you were able to face him. Tony wouldn't have sent you other ways.

"Can please passengers..." The speakers scare through your ears.

You wished you could turn the music on, zoom out, fade away. Steve taught you better. You needed to be aware of your surroundings. Every sound, smell, taste, movements, anything that could trigger the big puzzle. It was difficult doing all those things. Your breathing were louder than any sound around you. Your foot was tapping louder and louder, you almost didn't notice the tall man sitting down beside you. Almost. You immediately pushed your elbow to his neck, but he was faster than you and blocked your arm, but he was gentle. Too gentle.

"You would've been dead by now if I was your real enemy," Steve's voice was low, hoarse.

You breathed out almost in relief that it was him. He was blocking his face with his hoodie, but you could recognize his voice from miles away. You stared into the air in front of you. Was he here to stop you? Cause you were not going back to the mansion with him. You were too focused on the mission. On getting away from the mansion and everyone in it. You needed independency.

"I would've used my toys," You snapped back at him.

"I told you..." Steve laughed low as he placed his hand over yours, intertwining your fingers.

"You need to stop relying on your toys, you need to practice with your fingers," Steve smirked as he looked back up at you for the first time. He couldn't stop himself. 

Even now he was preaching in front of you. Not showing a single tear of anger on his face. He must have known that you were running away. Tony must have told him. Still, he did not show any hatred of your actions. Hadn't even called you childish for running away. This was unusual. It was strange seeing Steve empathetic.

"I kiss-" You began.

"I wish you could trust-" Steve said simultaneously.

Both of you got quiet when you realized both of you were talking. Suddenly your group was told on the speakers to board the plane. You looked silently up at Steve. This was the moment you would know. You stood up, your eyes not leaving him. Steve stood up. That's when you noticed he had a bag with him, and a ticket in his hand.

"Let's talk about it on the plane," Steve said, nodding to the gate.