An Ending and a New Beginning

"Steph," he'd said, turning his head and finding those familiar, intense, brown eyes staring into his before quickly turning back to the bar.

"Hey-hi," she'd tried to rehearse how to greet him and kicked herself for not deciding which greeting to settle on before she opened her mouth. She was already making it weird. "Linds," she smiled awkwardly, acknowledging him with the familiar version of his name without even realizing it.

Just for tonight, she wouldn't check him for calling her Steph. The butterflies in Stevie's stomach actually seemed to multiply when it occurred to her that he might remember her that way, as Steph instead of "the bitch who fired him from his band." Steph was from a more gentle, tender time. She would have thought that pet names from a time when they'd loved each other would have been discarded after so many hard years.

They were grieving the loss of a dear friend and, in every way that mattered, someone who had been their family. Christine shared a lot of important parts of their past. The five band members had experienced something no one else in the world had. They should all be able to lean on each other during that loss as a family, as a band.

But, they were at odds. And she'd used her hard-won power to make a regretful choice. Now, for the first time in a long time, she had to face Lindsey. With regret and also relief, she assumed it would likely be the last time, as well.

Getting it over with was Stevie's goal. "Just break the ice and move on," she told herself. Other than a death in the Fleetwood Mac family, she couldn't imagine where they'd ever run into each other again, and hopefully, this would be the last memorial they had to attend for a long, long while. They didn't travel in the same circles anymore. While their homes were so close, the lives they lived couldn't be farther away.

There were conversations they hadn't had and words they'd like to say, but the words weren't forthcoming. They simply stood there in the palpable tension. Both were busying themselves, looking at the selection offered at the bar as if there were big, important choices to make there.

Stevie wasn't wearing her glasses, Lindsey noticed. He always noticed the smallest details that others might not when it came to her. So, he reached for the bottle of wine he knew she'd choose if she could see, and he poured some into her glass.

"Thank you," she said, taking a sip. "This is good."

Lindsey halfway smiled, pleased as ever when he got something right where she was concerned.

"How are you holding up?" Lindsey asked, stealing a quick sideward glance at Stevie.

She just shook her head and inhaled. Willing the tears not to come, she stared up at the ceiling. "I miss her. I can't believe she's gone. It doesn't seem real," Stevie said, looking to Lindsey for understanding. She dabbed at her eyes as she lost the battle with her tears.

Without hesitating, when he heard the crack in her voice and saw her tears, Lindsey closed the distance and drew her into a hug. An audible hush fell over the room as those assembled watched the reunion with unabashed curiosity.

Stevie was caught off guard. She hadn't imagined Lindsey being kind or feeling any compassion toward her after all that had gone down between them.

Stevie certainly hadn't imagined him offering her comfort. His arms around her were more rigid than the last time they'd embraced, more unsure. He was taking a chance that she wouldn't pull away, and it intimidated him. As angry as he was at her, he wanted to make things okay for her. The old push/pull, love/hate thing was always at play where she was concerned.

He'd sent her an email when Christine passed. Had she even read it? She hadn't responded. She never did. He was surprised about that one though. He knew how close they were, and he loved Chris too. The three had blended their voices and shared so much.