𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 49: 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝖂𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝕯𝖚𝖙𝖞

Moonlight streamed through the windows, casting a cool glow as Nia stood by the castle gates, her hand in Kiyoshi's. While she understood the urgency of his mission, a part of her wanted to cling to him, to refuse to let him go.

"I promise," he said, his voice gruff with emotion, "I'll return to you as soon as this is done. You have my word." He squeezed her hand, his grip firm yet gentle.

"I understand your duty," she finally whispered, her voice barely audible. "But it does not make it any easier."

Kiyoshi reached out; his touch gentle as he cupped her face. "I know," he said softly. "Every fiber of my being yearns to stay here, by your side. But I have a promise to fulfill, not just to the kingdom, but to those innocent children who cry out for help."

Nia nodded, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. "Just... come back to me," she pleaded, her voice breaking.

Kiyoshi pressed a kiss on her forehead, his eyes soft with love and regret. "I swear it, my heart. I will return to you. Until then, take care of yourself and know that I am always with you, even when I am not by your side."

A faint smile curved Nia's lips as she closed her eyes, severing the warmth of his touch. Suddenly, a mischievous twinkle lit up her eyes. "Wait," she said, stepping back and running down the hallway. She returned a moment later with a small, heavy bag.

"What's this?" he asked, raising an eyebrow as she held out the bag.

Nia untied the drawstring, revealing a variety of pastries, savory pies, and dried fruit, their fragrance filling the air. "These are for you," she said, her expression a mix of mischief and adoration. "Made them myself. You may not have time for a proper meal, so I thought you could take these with you."

Kiyoshi's heart melted. He had never expected such a thoughtful gesture. "Nia," he said, his voice thick with emotion, "you truly are an angel. This means more to me than you can ever know."

Kiyoshi glanced at the chosen guards, their faces grim but determined, and then back to Nia. He took the bag from her, feeling its weight in his hand. "Thank you," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "You truly are my heart, and I will cherish this gift always." He leaned forward, pressing a kiss to her forehead before turning away, his heart heavy with the knowledge of what lay ahead.

He mounted his horse, and raised his hand, the signal for departure. With a deep breath, he urged the stallion forward, leading the small group of soldiers, covered in domes, through the gates and into the night. The air was cool against his skin, the scent of pine sharp in his nose as they rode deeper into the forest. The sound of their horses' hooves and the rustle of leaves beneath their feet filled the silence that hung between them.

Nia watched them disappear into the darkness, her heart heavy with worry and longing. She could only hope that Kiyoshi would return to her soon, unharmed and victorious. As she turned away, she tried to focus on the tasks at hand, attending to the needs of the castle and its people. But all the while, her thoughts kept returning to the man she loved riding towards danger, determined to make the world a safer place.

The days that followed were agonizingly slow for Nia. She woke each morning to the cold touch of dawn, her heart heavy with worry as she wondered if Kiyoshi had made any progress. The castle grounds were quiet, the servants and guards moving about their tasks with the weight of his absence pressing down upon them all.

Meanwhile, Kiyoshi and his men journeyed deeper into the heart of the forest, their path marked by the occasional fallen tree or overgrown bramble. The horses' hooves made little sound on the soft forest floor; their movements almost silent as they wove through the towering trees. The air was thick with the scent of pine and earth, and the occasional birdcall or rustle of leaves in the distance. The soldiers maintained a steady pace, their faces grim but determined.

As they rode, Kiyoshi thought back to his time with Nia, reliving the memories of their shared laughter and tears, their passionate embraces and gentle whispers. He knew that the road ahead was fraught with danger, but he drew strength from the love they shared, and the knowledge that he was fighting for a better future, not just for the kingdom, but for them.

The journey to Blightfang was a treacherous one, winding through dense forests and over craggy mountains, often shrouded in mist and veiled by shadow. The soldiers were seasoned warriors, their steps sure and their eyes alert, but even their experience could not dull the tension that hung heavy in the air. Kiyoshi rode at the head of the column, his sword sheathed at his side and his thoughts fixed on the task ahead.

As they traversed the rocky terrain, they came across the remains of an encampment, long abandoned and overgrown with vegetation. The air was thick with the scent of decay, and the ground was littered with the rusting remains of weapons and armor. The soldiers moved with caution; their senses heightened as they scoured the area for any signs of the enemy. After several hours of searching, they found a small, hidden cave, its entrance concealed by a tangle of vines and brush.

Kiyoshi ordered a small detachment to investigate the cave while the rest of the group continued onwards.

Entering the gates of Blightfang was a surreal experience for Kiyoshi and his men. The once ruined kingdom had been rebuilt, its towers and spires gleaming in the sunlight. Soldiers patrolled the walls and bustled about the streets, their armor polished and their weapons sharp. The air was alive with the sounds of horses' hooves and the clang of steel as they marched to and from. The sense of order and purpose that permeated the air was palpable, a far cry from the lawlessness that had reigned during the time of King Gorn.

Kiyoshi dismounted in the main square, his eyes taking in the impressive structure that served as the palace. He signaled to his men, "Stay vigilant," he murmured, "Scour the area. Leave no stone unturned."

With a nod of acknowledgment, the guards and soldiers dispersed, fanning out across the square and disappearing into the winding streets beyond. Kiyoshi drew in a deep breath, steadying himself as he surveyed the palace before him.

Kiyoshi gracefully transformed into a bat, his wings unfolding with fluid ease as he launched himself into the air. The cool night breeze ruffled his fur as he glided effortlessly towards the palace window, his senses alert for any signs of movement or danger.

Now that Kiyoshi was safely inside the palace, he transformed back to his normal self. He needed to find a way to reach King Grawl without arousing suspicion. He glanced around, taking in his surroundings. He finally found himself in front of the oak doors leading to the throne room.