𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 57: 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖇𝖊𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖎𝖔𝖚𝖗

Moonlight, streamed through the castle's open window, as Kiyoshi prepared to depart. Nia stood by his side, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

"Promise me you will come back," she said softly, her voice barely audible over the soft rustling of the leaves outside. He looked down at her, his expression softening. "I promise," he replied, gently brushing a stray strand of hair from her forehead. "I will return to you, and together, we will overcome this darkness."

Her eyes filled with tears, but she forced a tiny smile. "I'll be waiting for you." They stood there for a moment longer, their bodies pressed together, their hearts beating in perfect rhythm. Then, with a deep breath, he turned and walked away, vanishing out of their chambers. Watching from the balcony as he mounted his horse and rode off into the distance.

The weight of his absence, combined with the knowledge that he was facing great danger, was almost unbearable for Nia. With a deep breath, Nia turned back towards the castle, a wave of determination washing over her. She had promised to wait for him, and she would keep that promise.

The silence of the empty courtyard pressed heavily against her as Nia walked across it, her steps slow and deliberate. She wandered through the familiar halls, but a strange feeling of disquiet settled in her stomach, a churning nausea that seemed to make each step more difficult than the last.

Qadira, her personal handmaiden, noticed Nia's distress. "Your Majesty are you feeling unwell?" she asked, rushing to her side.

Nia forced a smile. "Just a bit tired, that is all. Thank you for your concern."

She continued her aimless walk, eventually finding herself in the drawing room. Princess Serena looked up from her book with a worried frown.

"Nia, you look like you could use some rest." Serena said, her voice gentle. Nia forced a grateful smile as she sat in an armchair.

She picked up a book, attempting to focus on the words, but found herself unable to concentrate. "Is it Kiyoshi?" Serena asked gently, her voice barely above a whisper. Nia looked up, surprised that her sister had guessed her thoughts. "Yes," she admitted, her voice hoarse. "It is hard to believe he is really gone. I miss him so much already."

"I know this is a difficult time, but Kiyoshi is a capable leader. He will return safe and sound, you will see." Serena's voice was reassuring, and Nia found herself wanting to believe her sister's words. She took a deep breath and tried to focus on what Serena was saying. "In the meantime, you should take care of yourself. Perhaps you could join me for a walk in the garden later? The fresh air will do you good."

"No, thank you, I am quite hungry. Perhaps we could eat together later?" Nia offered; her voice still faintly hopeful.

"But it was not quite long after we ate," Serena protested, her eyes twinkling. "And you did eat quite a bit." She paused, then smiled.

"I do not understand," she murmured, her voice laced with confusion. "I just ate, yet I feel as though I could eat more."

Serena's eyes widened slightly. "That is unusual indeed, Your Majesty. Perhaps it's best to inform the court physician..."

The days passed by, each one a struggle for Nia. The persistent nausea and uncontrollable hunger grew more pronounced. Her usually calm and collected demeanor gave way to erratic mood swings, and she found herself crying for no apparent reason. The servants, accustomed to her gentle nature, were both concerned and confused by her sudden outbursts.

One afternoon, while aimlessly wandering through the palace gardens with Serena by her side, a messenger from the north arrived, his face a mixture of relief and concern. He bowed deeply before Nia, his words tumbling out in a rush. "Your Majesty, a message has arrived from King Kiyoshi."

Nia's heart leaped in her chest. The messenger's words felt like a lifeline, a glimmer of hope in the midst of her despair. With trembling hands, she took the letter from the man and broke the wax seal, her lips quivering as she began to read.

"He is almost arrived at the Kingdom of Vortex," she finally announced, a relieved smile spreading across her face. "He is safe, Serena."

Serena let out a sigh of relief. Witnessing the toll Kiyoshi's absence had taken on Nia, she was grateful for his safety. "That is wonderful news, Nia," she said, squeezing her sister's hand. They stood in comfortable silence for a moment, both taking in the news and feeling a weight lifted from their shoulders.

Nia turned to her, "Thank you, Serena. For everything."

Serena smiled warmly. "Always, Nia. Now, how about we get you back inside and prepare a proper meal? A queen deserves a little pampering, especially after news like this." She placed a comforting hand on Nia's shoulder, leading her back toward the palace. As they walked, Nia could not help but feel a renewed sense of hope and strength. The weight that had been pressing down on her since Kiyoshi's departure seemed to lift, and she found herself looking forward to seeing her husband once more.

Inside the dining room, Qadira entered the dining room with a tray. Your Majesty," she bowed, "I have brought you your favorite pastries."

Nia smiled, her eyes lighting up at the sight of the delicate, flaky pastries filled with sweet cream. She reached out, taking a huge bite.

But the moment the pastry touched her tongue, her expression changed. Her face contorted in disgust, and she spat out the bite, clutching her stomach.

"What's wrong, Nia?" Serena asked, concern etched on her face. Nia shook her head, her voice trembling slightly. "It... it tastes awful. I do not know what's wrong."

Qadira, her eyes wide with shock, stared at the rejected pastry. "But Your Majesty, these are your favorite. Freshly baked, just as you like them."

"Perhaps I have simply changed my mind about them," Nia managed, her voice still unsteady. She forced herself to take another bite, but it was met with the same revulsion. "No, something is definitely wrong."

"Nia, this isn't like you. Have you seen the court physician? These sudden changes..." Serena trailed off, clearly worried.

Nia shook her head, "I haven't," she admitted, "I thought it wasn't a big deal."

"This is serious, Nia. You are not yourself lately. You need to see the physician immediately." Serena insisted, her tone firm. Qadira nodded in agreement, her expression grave. "Of course, Your Majesty. I'll inform the physician right away and arrange for an audience with you at your earliest convenience."

"Alright, alright," Nia said, her voice still shaky but determined. "I'll see the physician. But first, I need some time to myself. I am not feeling well." She rose from her seat, handing the plate of pastries to Qadira. "Why do not you take these back to the kitchen and have them remade? Perhaps something is wrong with the ingredients."

"No! Come on then, before you change your mind again." Serena placed a reassuring hand on Nia's shoulder, leading her away from the table. "We'll go to the physician together and get to the bottom of this. You will feel better soon enough."

With a heavy sigh, Nia took Serena's arm, allowing herself to be led away from the dining room. As they walked through the grand halls of the palace, Nia could not shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong with her. She had never experienced such sudden changes in her taste buds, and it was unsettling. She hoped that the court physician would have some answers for her.