𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 65: 𝖁𝖊𝖎𝖑𝖊𝖉 𝕮𝖔𝖓𝖈𝖊𝖗𝖓𝖘

Moonlight entered the royal bedchamber as Nia rested her head on Kiyoshi's chest and idly traced a patterns on his arm. Kiyoshi chuckled, feeling her grip tighten around his arm as he attempted to move. "No, stay," she mumbled, her voice already thick with sleep.

Kiyoshi chuckled again, "My dear, I need to..." He gestured vaguely towards the door.

Nia's grip tightened further, and she nuzzled closer, her face buried in the crook of his neck. "Just a little longer," she murmured, her voice barely audible.

"My love," he teased, "these newfound... urges... of yours make it difficult for me to fulfill even the most basic needs." Nia lifted her head playfully and met his gaze. "Must you tease?" she said, her voice laced with mock annoyance.

He grinned, her eyes sparkling in the moonlight. "I could not help myself." He rolled over, pinning her beneath him, his strong hands on either side of her head. "Besides, my duties as king do not afford me such luxuries." She laughed, the sound filling the room, and he felt a wave of love and protectiveness wash over him. "Fine," she said, her breath hitching as he lowered his lips to hers, "but only for a little while longer."

The peaceful silence was broken by a knock at the door. "Your Highness, it's important," came the voice of the messenger. Kiyoshi sighed, a playful look in his eyes. "Seems even kings cannot escape duty in the morning."

Nia pouted playfully. "You are no fun," she murmured, her voice husky with sleep. Kiyoshi chuckled, "Enter," he called out, and the messenger hurried into the chamber. He bowed low before the king and queen, his eyes darting between them nervously. "Your Majesty, Queen Nia," he greeted them respectfully. "I bring a letter from your father, Duke Nari."

Nia's eyes widened as she reached out and accepted the letter. She glanced at her husband, then back at the messenger, who waited patiently for her to read it. She quickly broke the seal and unfolded the parchment, her brow furrowing as she scanned the words.

My dearest Nia,

Your words brought tears to my eyes. War is looming over Niameda, a land I once believed finally safe... it is a bitter truth. Madoc's betrayal is a wound that will take time to heal, if ever.

Rest assured, I have already begun preparations. The citizens are being evacuated from Niameda and The Kingdom of Arcane are ready to receive refugees. Discreetly, food and supplies are being gathered, and a network of hidden passages and tunnels is being made to evacuate our people and resources.

Continue with your plans, Nia. We are with you, in spirit and in action. I pray that our efforts will be enough to protect what we hold dear.

The blessings of the ancestors be upon you, my brave daughter.

With unwavering love and pride,

Your Father

"Thank you," she said, her voice filled with gratitude as she dismissed the messenger.

"Well?" Kiyoshi asked, his voice tense with anticipation. Nia looked up from the letter, her expression grim. "He has begun preparations, just as he promised. The citizens of Niameda are being evacuated, and resources are being gathered."

"That is fantastic news, my love! With his assistance, the process will be much smoother." Kiyoshi wrapped his arm around Nia, pulling her close.

"I remember a quiet, stubborn king who refused to meet my family when they came visiting" she teased, her hand playing with the ring on her finger.

"Ah, that," he said, scratching his neck. "I was... consumed by my ..." He hesitated, searching for the right words.

"Jealousy?" she offered with a smirk. "Stubbornness?" he countered, grinning. "Perhaps a bit of both," she conceded, laughing softly. "But in truth," he said, his gaze growing serious, "it was not about them, I tend to close myself off when I feel... threatened. It was you who made me want to open up, to trust someone with my secrets and my fears. And you did it." He leaned in, brushing his lips against hers. " Eternally grateful for that, Nia."