𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 79: 𝕰𝖕𝖎𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊 - 𝕿𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖇𝖑𝖊𝖉 𝖂𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘

ʙᴏᴏᴋ 2: ᴡʜɪꜱᴘᴇʀꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴇꜱɪʀᴇꜱ: ᴀ ꜱᴇɴꜱᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ

The midday sun beat down mercilessly on the dusty training grounds of the Niameda army camp. Sweat dripped from Kazi's brow as she stood facing her opponent, a seasoned captain named Ren. They had been sparring for over an hour, their swords clashing and singing as they danced around each other. The air was thick with the smell of sweat and steel, but Kazi barely registered it. All of her focus was on Ren's movements, his tan skin, brown hair and brown eyes on the slightest shift in weight or the angle of his blade.

She had been practicing with her sword for years, ever since she was old enough to wield one. Her father had hired the best instructors' money could buy, and she had trained day in and day out, driven by a fierce determination to prove herself worthy of inheriting the title of general. Now, as she sparred with Ren, she felt a thrill of excitement coursing through her veins. She loved the way her sword sang through the air, the weight of it in her hand. It was a part of her, an extension of her will and her power.

With an attack so swift and precise that even Kazi did not see it coming, Ren struck her sword from her hand, sending it clattering across the ground. She stood there for a moment, stunned, before Ren offered her a hand up. "Nicely done," he said with a grin. "You are getting better every time we spar." Kazi nodded, accepting his hand and pushing herself back to her feet. "Thanks," she said, wiping the sweat from her brow. "I guess I should give you some more credit."

"Kazi, daughter of Governor Nari!" a lower-ranking soldier called out, jogging up to them. "Your presence is urgently requested at your father's study. A royal messenger awaits." Kazi glanced at Ren, then quickly wiped the sweat from her face and straightened her tunic. "Thank you for informing me," she said, her heart racing.

Kazi's mind raced. Was it Nia? Was there trouble at the palace? Her hand instinctively went to the hilt of her sword, a comforting weight against her hip.

"Thank you," Kazi said, her voice firm. "Tell my father I'll be there shortly."

As the messenger scurried away, Kazi turned her attention back to Ren. "I apologize for the interruption," she said, her heart still racing. "I'll have to cut our sparring session short today. I need to see what my father wants."

Without waiting for Ren's reply, she made her way swiftly through the camp, her boots thudding against the packed earth. The closer she got to her father's study, the more anxious she became. Kazi pushed open the heavy wooden doors and stepped inside.

"Father?" Kazi said, stepping further into the study.

"Kazi," he began, his voice strained, "there's... there's been trouble with a recent trade boat headed for Althea." He paused, clearing his throat, before continuing, "A scouting party found the boat abandoned. No survivors, no bandits. Just... silence."

"No survivors? No bandits? That does not make any sense." Kazi said, frowning. "Have the other boats been attacked as well?" Her father shook his head. "Not that we know of. And the trade route has always been considered safe."

"There will be an emergency meeting this very evening. Representatives from Ivamis, Niameda, and Althea will convene to discuss a joint investigation." Governor Nari paused, his expression grave. "I need you to lead this mission, Kazi. As my daughter, and as the future general of Niameda, it is your duty to protect our trade interests and uphold our treaties."

"Father," Kazi said, her voice steady despite the anger that boiled beneath her skin, "I understand your concerns. I will lead this mission with the utmost care and determination." Her gaze flickered to the map of the trade route on the far wall, her mind already racing with strategies and contingency plans.

"All I can say right now is...we need to be prepared for anything..." Kazi began, her voice barely above a whisper. "We do not know what we're walking into, but we cannot let this threat go unchecked. I'll gather my most trusted officers, and we'll go and scout the area for clues. We'll find out who or what is behind this." Her fists clenched at her sides as she fought to control her anger. "And when we do, we'll make them pay."

Her father nodded, a hint of approval in his eyes. "I knew I was raising you well. You remind me so much of your mother in the best of ways. I have faith in you, my daughter. The people of Niameda are in good hands." He paused, clearing his throat again before continuing, "Now, you will need the best men and women for this mission. I'll send a messenger to assemble your unit immediately."

As Kazi walked out of the study, her heart pounded with a mixture of determination and anger. She had always been known for her fiery personality, and her temperament only seemed to intensify with each passing day. It was a double-edged sword; it made her an inspiring leader, but it also made her difficult to work with at times. She knew she had to keep her emotions in check if she wanted to lead her men successfully through this dangerous mission. The peace between the three kingdoms was a delicate balance, and this attack, if that is what it was, could shatter it. An unsettling question lingered in the back of her mind: attack a trade caravan heading for a peaceful kingdom like Althea? The Kingdom of Angels? And what secrets did the silence hold? Kazi knew one thing for sure: she wouldn't rest until the truth was revealed, and justice delivered, however unconventional it might be.

"I shall avenge my father..."

Thank you guys so much for reading my book!❤️