𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 55: 𝕬 𝕻𝖆𝖈𝖙 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝕻𝖎𝖗𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖘

Then the door burst open, and Captain Loran walked in, his face a mask of concern. "My Lord," Loran bowed, his voice low. "Urgent news. Prince Daemon... he has left the kingdom."

Kiyoshi felt a chill run down his spine. "What do you mean?" he asked, his voice barely audible above the thundering of his heart.

"He is gathering his belongings, sire. It appears he is departed for good." Loran paused; his expression grim.

"Find out where he is gone, Loran. Immediately."

"Of course, my Lord." Captain Loran bowed and hurried away, leaving Kiyoshi and Nia alone in the chamber. Nia looked at her husband, her eyes wide with fear and confusion.

"Nia," he began, his voice heavy with a mixture of anger and despair, "there's something I need to tell you." He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the revelations to come.

Nia's eyes widened. "What is it, Kiyoshi?"

"It is about the truth behind everything that is happening – the attacks, the rumors, the accusations," he began, his voice steady despite the turmoil within. "It all leads back to someone... someone close to us."

Nia's breath caught in her throat. The fear in her eyes turned to shock and disbelief. "Who, Kiyoshi?" she whispered.

"My brother, Daemon." Kiyoshi's voice was barely audible. "He has been working with the enemies of our kingdom, secretly plotting against me and aiding the disappearing children."

"But... why?" she whispered; her voice barely audible. "I do not understand. Why would he do such a thing?"

"I do not have all the answers yet," Kiyoshi admitted, "But I believe he has been driven by ambition, a twisted desire for power." He took a deep breath, steeling himself against the pain of betrayal. "I recently learned...confirmation that..." he hesitated, unsure how to reveal the involvement of Uncle Hikaru.

"Learned what, Kiyoshi?" Nia asked, her voice barely audible. He ran a hand through his hair, struggling to find the right words.

"There was an advisor, a man named Hikaru...my uncle, who was exiled years ago. He recently revealed to me..." he trailed off, his face etched with a struggle.

Nia, sensing his hesitation, gently took his hand. "What did Uncle Hikaru reveal?"

Kiyoshi looked at her, his eyes filled with a turmoil of emotions. "He revealed that Daemon...he framed him as a traitor. It seems it was all part of a larger scheme, a twisted ambition for power that has been growing inside him for years."

"What now, Kiyoshi?" she asked, her voice trembling. "What are you going to do?"

Kiyoshi met her gaze, the weight of his decision heavy on his shoulders. "I must confront him, Nia. It is my duty as king, and as his brother. I cannot allow him to continue with these treacherous acts." He took a deep breath, trying to steady his racing heart. "I will expose his treachery and bring him to justice."

"But what if he... what if he fights back?" Nia whispered, fear filling her voice. "What if he tries to come back and take the throne from you?"

Kiyoshi took her hands in his, his grip firm but reassuring. "He will," Kiyoshi acknowledged. "But I will not falter. I owe it to the kingdom, to the missing children and to you to end this. I will do whatever it takes to protect our people and restore peace to our realm. I need you to be strong, Nia. I need you to trust me."

He paused, searching her eyes for any sign of doubt, any hint that she was still questioning his resolve. "Kiyoshi," she said softly, her voice steady despite the tears streaming down her face. "I do trust you. I will stand by your side, no matter what comes." Her hands tightened around his, offering him her unwavering support.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips. "I just..." he trailed off, "I feel like I am failing, Nia. Failing as a king, failing as an ally to Niameda and Arcane." He looked away, his jaw clenching as he fought back the tears that threatened to spill over.

Nia reached out and placed a hand on his cheek, her touch gentle yet firm. "No, Kiyoshi," she said, shaking her head. "You are not failing. You are doing what needs to be done, and I am proud of you for it. We will get through this together, and we will restore our kingdom to its former glory." Her voice was steady, her eyes filled with determination and love. "We will find a way to bring peace to our people, and we will find your brother's accomplices, no matter where they hide."

He looked at her, his own resolve strengthening at the strength she found within herself. "Thank you, Nia," he whispered, leaning in to kiss her forehead. "Your support means more to me than you can ever know."

Later that evening, the silence within their chambers was broken only by the crimson fire crackling. Kiyoshi stood in front of the fireplace, deep in thought. The chamber doors creaked open, and Captain Loran entered, "Your Majesty, I have news."

"Speak, Loran. What is it?" Kiyoshi asked, turning to face the captain.

"We have tracked Prince Daemon's movements. He... he has fled to the Kingdom of Vortex," Captain Loran said, his voice trembling. "The Kingdom of Pirates" - he hesitated, as if still finding it hard to believe the truth himself - "the Kingdom of Vortex is where he was last seen."

"We need to act fast. Inform the council of this development. We will convene a meeting at first light to discuss a course of action." Kiyoshi's voice was grim, his mind already racing with the possibilities of what lay ahead.

"As you command, my Lord." He paused at the door, then added, "Perhaps diplomacy might be a better option this time. Engaging the pirates in open conflict could prove... unwise."

Kiyoshi considered this for a moment. "You may be right, Loran. We cannot afford another war on our hands. I propose we attempt to establish communication with their leader, Captain Shale. Perhaps we can offer them an incentive to..." Kiyoshi trailed off, unsure how to put it into words. "To end this madness."

"Captain Shale," Loran repeated. "It is a risky proposition, but considering the circumstances..." He bowed again. "I will see to the preparations for the council meeting, my Lord."

Loran took his leave, and Kiyoshi turned back to the fireplace, lost in thought once more. As the door shut behind him, Nia entered the chamber, a concerned expression on her face. "Kiyoshi" she called out, her voice soft.

He turned toward her; Nia could see how stressed he was. She wished there was something she could do to ease his burden. "Nia," he murmured, stepping towards her.

Before he could speak further, she hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, feeling the warmth of her body and the rhythm of her breath against his skin. For a moment, they simply stood there, lost in the comfort of each other's presence.

"Thank you," he whispered, holding her close. "I do not know what I'd do without you." He sighed, as he continued to thank her, she pulled back slightly and gazed into his eyes. She leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips, feeling the warmth and strength of his embrace.

 She leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips, feeling the warmth and strength of his embrace