𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 42

~srry for the late update yall 😅~

-Start of Chapter 42-

The sun barely peeks over the horizon, casting a pale light into the room. I stir, feeling the emptiness next to me. Sunghoon is gone. The warmth of his presence lingers faintly in the sheets, but he is no longer here.

I sit up slowly, my body still aching from the fever and the wounds. The realization of the day's reality crashes over me like a cold wave. Sunghoon, Heeseung, Jake, and Ni-ki are all gone, off to save my brothers. The weight of my guilt and worry feels unbearable.

As I try to gather my thoughts, the door creaks open, and Jia steps in, carrying a tray of food. 

"Good morning My Lady." she smiles, "How you are you doing My Lady?"

"Better." I say, not being able to hide the disappointment in my voice.

A frown forms between her eyebrows, "Is something bothering My Lady?"

"Sunghoon... he's left a long time ago, right?" I ask, my voice wavering slightly.

Jia nods, placing the tray on the bedside table. "Yes, My Lady. They left before dawn. They wanted to get an early start."

I feel a pang of anxiety, and I try to shake it off. "Thank you for the food, Jia. I appreciate it."

She gives me a concerned look but doesn't press further. "If you need anything, please call for me."

As she leaves, the room feels emptier than before. I pick at the food on the tray, but my appetite is nonexistent. 

The thoughts of what could go wrong gnaw at my mind, making my chest feel tight.

I look outside the window, taking in the endless palace grounds. Neatly trimmed hedges, vibrant flower beds, and sparkling morning dew paint a perfect scene. Majestic trees cast shadows on cobblestone paths, and grand fountains murmur in the distance. Birds flit about, their songs a stark contrast to the storm raging within me. The serene beauty outside feels painfully lonely, a perfect world that seems far from my reality.

Sounds of hesitant footsteps break my train of thoughts. Turning my head, I find Sunoo standing at door, his expression  uncertain. 

"Good morning." he says softly, as if testing the waters.

"Morning..." I reply, my voice strained but polite.

"How are you feeling?" he asks, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I've been better," I admit, trying to muster a small smile. "But I'll manage."

There's an awkward silence between us, filled with unspoken words and unresolved tensions. Sunoo clears his throat, trying to bridge the gap. "It's been long... since we've properly talked."

I can't make up a reply so I just nod.

He shifts uncomfortably, searching for the right words. "I know things have been complicated. With everything that's happened... I'm sorry if I made it harder for you."

I look at him, surprised by his sincerity. "It's not your fault, Sunoo. We're all just trying to figure things out."

He nods, his eyes dropping to the floor. "I just wish there was more I could do to help."

I manage a weak smile. "You're here. That helps."

We sit in silence for a moment, the tension slowly easing.