don't leave me

Taylor's POV

"Hey baby." Travis' voice came from behind me and I turned around from where I waited by the stage lift for my cue, tossing my microphone between my hands.

"Hey!" I smiled. "You made it!"

"Of course I did." Travis pulled me into a hug, careful of my makeup and my bodysuit. "I missed you." He murmured against my ear, and I sighed happily.

"I missed you too." I whispered back. "Thank you for coming. I know you've been busy."

"Never too busy for my girl." Travis pulled back and smiled at me, and I smiled back, my eyes flickering over his face. He looked flushed. "I'm gonna go to the tent now so I can catch you rocking the entrance, and I'll see you after the show."

"Okay." I stretched up and pecked his lips lightly. "I love you."

"I love you too." Travis stroked some hair out of my face, and I smiled adoringly at him as I watched him go.

My spirits rising at the knowledge that Travis had made it, I turned back to wait for my cue. He'd been pretty busy in Kansas City recently with practices for the upcoming season in a few weeks, and it meant the world that he still made such an effort to come and see me.

Smiling wider than ever, I threw myself into the show. The crowd was incredible, shouting along with the words and dancing and cheering in their glittering costumes. I had the time of my life, catching Travis' eye a few times and grinning at him. The VIP tent was empty except for him tonight, and he stood against the front, just watching me instead of dancing like he usually was. Maybe he was just tired.

I threw myself into the run and pull back move during August, right on the edge of the stage. I'd almost fallen off the stage a few times during rehearsals, and I knew it worried Travis when I got too close, so I stopped half a step back than where I usually did, just for him. The light evening was still strange to perform in since I was used to it being dark by now, but it was so great being able to see people's faces instead of just their wristband. I looked around, memorizing some of the smiles I could see looking back at me.

Just before I turned away from the corner, I noticed a movement in the VIP tent, and my eyes flickered over to see Travis stumbling like he'd tripped. I paused, trying to keep performing but wanting to make sure he was okay. I'd never been distracted during a show before, but Travis always had my attention like nothing else.

As I watched, Travis fell, vanishing from sight. I faltered, my eyes trapped on the tent, waiting for him to get back up like he'd tripped over something. But he didn't, and no one else had noticed what had happened. Then I noticed someone turn towards the tent, start to shout, and medics rushed over.

My microphone fell to the stage with a loud thud, the sound echoing around the stadium. My band went silent when they realized I'd stopped singing, the whole place slowly descending into quiet as the stands of people faltered. I watched the medics rush into the tent, panicked, and I just moved without thinking. My heart pounded, terrified.

Not stopping to think about how dangerous it was, I lifted the cream colored hem of my dress and scrambled towards the edge of the stage. Security rushed over as I tried to climb down, not caring that I might fall. I just had to get to Travis. I shook off their protests, climbing down as far as I could before jumping the rest of the way. As soon as I was on my feet I was off running, pushing past the barricade towards the tent.

People moved out of the way as I ran as fast as I could, everyone staring at me. I'd never done anything like this before, but being in love had changed me and I couldn't stop myself. Terror pounded through me as I ran, and then I was stopped, grabbed around the waist.