Chapter 572 Negative Effects

Speaking of Ron, he had been under the utmost pressure since this article appeared.

Although there wasn't much in the newspaper about him, it was highly detrimental.

The voice of the opposition, which had gradually faded away, resurged. Everyone thought that Ron's champion status had been attained through dishonorable means. He had deceived Dumbledore and the Goblet of Fire, and even many wizards outside the school believed so.

Being a champion did not bring honor to Ron but shame.

Rita Skeeter's article thrust Ron into the eye of the storm, painting him as a despicable villain who lacked the rightful strength but relished in self-promotion and achieving honor through covert manipulations.

Now, wherever he went, he could hear people shouting at him vehemently.

Everyone wore badges in support of Cedric, quoted the words of the article, and mocked him.

Ron's temperament deteriorated to the point where he would pick fights with Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw students. As for Slytherin, he even got into another altercation with Malfoy.

His popularity among the students rapidly declined, and many secretly pointed fingers at him.

The same held true for Harry here, and the descriptions of him in the newspaper were even more embarrassing.

"Do you need a handkerchief, Potter, in case you start crying in Transfiguration?"

"Since when have you been one of the top students in the school? Or is this a school you and Longbottom have established together?"

"Hey... Harry!"

"Yes, of course!" Harry was heard shouting as he turned in the hallway, already fed up. "I've just been crying over my deceased mother, and now I'm going to shed some more..."

"No... you just... dropped your quill."

It was Cho Chang. Harry felt his face flush.

"Oh... yes... sorry," he muttered, retrieving the quill.

Hermione had also endured her share of unpleasant comments, but she had not yet stooped to shouting at innocent bystanders.

"Surprisingly pretty? Her?!" Pansy Parkinson had exclaimed the first time she came face to face with Hermione after Rita's article had come out. "What was she being compared to... a squirrel?"

"Ignore them," Hermione said with dignity, holding her head high and passing by the Slytherin girls who laughed as if she didnt hear them. "Just ignore them."

Harry and Ron watched Hermione with admiration, but they couldn't ignore it.

"We all know that woman is spreading rumors, and what she wrote is garbage!" Hermione said. "You two should learn from Evan. He doesn't take these things seriously."

Indeed, only Evan and Hermione could completely disregard what was said in the article.

Both agreed that now was not the time to worry about gossip but to help Ron find a way to successfully complete his first task.

As the tournament approached, they spent more and more time in the library.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Colin, Gabrielle, and Ginny speculated on the task's content. Evan knew it, but he couldn't reveal it yet. It was better to wait for Caresius and Hagrid to tell Ron.

On a scroll, he listed methods for dealing with fire-breathing dragons one by one, crossing them off as he went.

It wasn't that these methods were unviable, but Ron's current ability simply did not allow him to utilize them.

Not only Evan but also Caresius were concerned about how to help Ron overcome the competition.

With Ron's magical prowess and level, spells or metamorphic abilities, it was impossible for him to succeed.

He couldn't ride a broom as skillfully as Harry, but it was something worth considering.

They searched through a lot of information in the library, and Evan noticed that Krum had been there recently. Now he could approach and greet everyone, not as aloof as before, but nothing more.

Hermione often complained that Krum was around, not because he bothered them, as he didn't even talk much, but because groups of giggling girls would show up to spy on him from behind bookshelves, and Hermione found the noise distracting.

Evan felt the same way, but he couldn't prevent Krum from showing up in the library. He could only sit as far away from him as possible.

"Why don't we sit with Krum?" Ron said. "He invited us."

"Unless you want to be watched by dozens of girls, pointing and whispering..."

"He's not even handsome!" murmured Hermione angrily, staring at Krum's sharp profile. "They just like him because he's famous! They wouldn't give him a second glance if he couldn't do that Wronski Feint..."

"Wronski Feint," Harry muttered through clenched teeth, not wanting anyone to speak ill of Quidditch.

"Face reality, Hermione," said Ron. "Many girls like Krum, not just because he's the most famous Quidditch seeker, but also because he has a lot of magic and knowledge, much like those girls like Evan."

"How many times do I have to repeat it, Evan's personal life is not as chaotic as that woman described it?!" Hermione immediately turned her head, looking displeased, "and he didn't have as many girls around him as that boy."

"It's not Krum's fault he's popular," murmured Ron. "He may seem cold, but he's actually a good guy. He taught me a practical spell a while back, and it helped me a lot."

"Is this your opinion?!" said Hermione. "We've been sitting in the library every day helping you figure out a way to overcome the first task, and we haven't seen you thank us."

"Of course I'm grateful; you're the only ones supporting me now, and I'll never forget it!" said Ron, embarrassed, turning and speaking to Evan, who was reading a book, "Evan, how does this Impediment Curse work?"

Thus, time passed quickly, and soon it was the week before the start of the tournament.

Evan had to admit that at some point, Ron's nerves proved to be really strong.

While others worried about how Ron would complete his first task, he subjectively underestimated the tournament's difficulty.

Ron wasn't very concerned, but he always thought about the glory that winning the tournament would bring him.

He had already told Evan, Harry, and Colin more than once what he would do after winning the tournament.

This optimism continued until the Saturday before the first task, when all third-year students and above were allowed to visit the village of Hogsmeade.

At breakfast, Ron told everyone that he wanted to leave the castle to relax.