68

Katara

I'm almost back to the beach house. I'm listening to BTRs first album, trying to calm myself down.

My phone beeps. I wait until a stop light then pull it out. "Hello?"

"Hey baby. You almost home?"

I smile and tighten my grip on my phone. He loves me. "Yeah."

That's when a car rams into my side and I scream. "CALUUUUM!" I'm thrown into a ditch. I can only see the sun in my slowly decreasing tunnel of vision. I can feel my crimson blood puring from my wounds, staining my beach outfit. "Calum." I whisper.

A man comes running up. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!"

A woman is next to him, talking to the paramedics.

"Calum..... Call Calum." I shakily raise my hand, pointing to my phone that's a few inches away.

The man nods and picks it up. I immediately hear Calum's panicked voice. I guess I never hung up.

I finally let the darkness consume me.

Calum

I hear Kat scream my name. "Kat!"

I hear beeping cars and voices. After awhile, a man picks up the phone.

"Who the hell are you!?" I know I'm being a little harsh but Kat might be seriously hurt. Plus the baby.

"A-are y-you C-Calum?" He sounds shaken up.

I decide to go easy on him. "Yes."

He's silent for awhile. "She'll....... I'm sorry."

My heart stops. "It was you!"

"............. Yes."

I want to scream but I put my fist in my mouth. I hear sirens through the phone. "The paramedics are here....."

"Give the phone to one."

It takes a minute but the paramedic answers. "Yes?"

"Where are you taking her?"

"ER."

Tears stream down my face. "She's, um, she's p-pregnate.."

He's silent for a moment. "Sir, it's possible the baby was lost."

I sit on the bed and lay back, feeling a pang in my chest. I just hang up. I run my hands over my face. I'm not strong enough to keep composed. I can't bear to see her hurt.

There's a knock on the door.

"Go away!" I snap.

"Cal...." Blake opens the door. Her eyes widen when she sees my face. She hurries over and sits next to me."What happened?"

"Kat......" I tell her everything. She quietly listens as I bumble like an idiot.

After I'm done, she slowly stands. "I'll break the news to the others. You go to the ER."

I nod and she leaves. I put on a gray beanie and shades. I grab my keys and go downstairs.

Lydie reaches for me. I sigh. "No no baby." She wines but Kendall comes and sweeps her away.

I sigh and leave.

✴✴✴

I arrive a half an hour later.

I walk up to the desk. "Katara Schmidt."

The nurse gives me a sympathetic look. "Room 232."

I nod. "Thanks." I go to her room.

Kendall's the first to come up. We both hesitate before we go into her room.

She looks pale and lifeless on the bed. A thousand machines surrounding her, all blinking and flashing and beeping. I also notice a tube in her side, helping her breath. I rush over to her side and grab her hand. It's so cold. I give it a light squeeze.

Kendall remains at the door. His eyes sweep over Katara. He's looking at her as if she's unrecognizable. As if she wasn't the person he'd known all his life. He has a pained grimace upon his face. Guilt washes over me.

"I'm, uh, gonna go talk to the doctor." Kendall leaves.

I sigh. "Baby... say something..... I'm giving up on you..." I start singing softly.

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one if you want me to
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I... am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all
And I... will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I... will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye

Say something, I'm giving up on you
And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
And anywhere I would've followed you (Oh-Ooh)
Say something, I'm giving up on you

Say something...