Year 3 | The Midnight Howler

SPRINGTIME CAME SOON enough for Hogwarts and all of its habitants

    SPRINGTIME CAME SOON enough for Hogwarts and all of its habitants. Butterflies fluttered over the great green lawns and the trees surrounding the outskirts of the castle were beginning to blossom. The giant squid broke through the last glaze of ice on the Black Lake and the Whomping Willow shook water from its branches.

    Inside of the castle, the dying sun streamed through high Windows, painting Harry's face a fierce amber-red as he stood opposite of Lupin and Lily. They were in Lupin's office, where ancient charts draped the walls while gleaming spheres of spun glass orbit one another silently. Lupin paced before a large trunk.

   "You're sure about this? This is very advanced magic. Well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level." Lupin asked them.

     "Harry is going first." Lily said.

     "If Black can fight the Dementors, I need to know how, too." Harry defended. He studied Harry, as if conflicted, and then decided.

     "Very well. The spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Ever hear of it?" Lupin questioned.

      He shook his head, "No."

     Lily nodded, "Yes."

     Lupin gestured for her to explain it to her brother, and so she did.

     "A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the witch or wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield." Lily said. She had read up on it after their second encounter with the Dementors. "The Dementor feeds on it instead of him."

     Just then, the trunk rattled violently. As Harry's eyes wandered to it, Lupin snapped his dinners to bring his attention back.

     "But in order for it to work, you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one." He said, "And powerful."

     Harry thought about it for a bit and then nodded. Lily studied her twin carefully and knew that whatever he was thinking of would not be enough. If the memory was as happy as it should have been, they would have seen it on his face.

     "Got something? Good. Let it fill you up. Lose yourself in it. Then speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum." Lupin continued. "Without your wand..."

     "Expecto Patronum..." They repeated.

     "Right then. Shall we?" Harry had nodded and raised his wand and Lupin, watching him closely, reached over and gripped the lid of the trunk. Lily moved away from the sene.

     "Concentrate, Harry. Concentrate..." He flung the case open and Harry opened his eyes. In the sun's blood-light, the Dementor looked particularly horrific.

     "Expecto... Patronum..." Harry attempted. The torches on the wall flickered as a chill breeze filled the chambers. A scream in Harry's ears echoed distantly and his hand trembled as his eyes began to roll up.