89 Bird Brains

Ellie POV

The small dove just stares back, eyes wide and visibly shaken. "Oh, I'm sorry." I softly whisper, trying to comfort the bird by stroking her feathers gentilly. "We must have scared you half to death with all that noise."

For a second there, I almost forgot Ayano was watching. Almost.

"You know that bird?"

"Yes, do you have a problem with that?"

"No, but the managers will. No pets, remember?"

"Well it's not my fault that Luna found me here."

"Uh, yeah, it kind of is. Tell the stupid thing to go back to where it came from before we both get in trouble."

"She's not stupid! The fact that she could even find me with is enough to prove that!" I pull Luna closer for a hug. "Don't listen to that meanie, she's just jealous."

Ayano turns a bright red. "Me? Jealous? Of what?"

"That you don't own an awesome pet like Luna."

"Pff, whatever, who cares." She shrugs. "I didn't want that stupid dove anyways."

"Oh, so you DID want a dove?"

"What? No! Birds are stupid!"

I ignore her rude comment, and instead hold Luna out again, inspecting her body for anything broken. Just in case. Luckily, she looks fine. "So how's Zi zi doing?" I ask her.

Ayano rolls her eyes. "You know animals can't understand you, right?"

"Luna can."

"Can not."

"Can too, watch this. Luna, can you understand me? One coo yes, two coos no."

"Coo."

Ayano laughs. "That's just a coincidence."

"Ok, then you ask a question."

"What?"

"You heard me, ask Luna a question. Something a 'smart bird' would know."

"Umm, ok." She thinks for a second, then holds out 4 fingers. "How many fingers am I holding up?"

Luna Coos 4 times.

"Lucky guess." Ayano announces, despite being clearly impressed.

I roll my eyes. "Fine, believe what you want." I then place my hoodie on the window seal, Luna still sitting in it like a nest. "Although, it's about time you go. Sorry Luna, but they don't allow pet here. Thanks for visiting. Is Susan treating you and Zi zi nice?"

"Coo."

Good, at least they're being taken care of. I don't want the thought of animal abuse added to the list of things that keep me up at night.

"Ok, feel free to come by another time. Just... make sure I'm alone in the room first."

"Coo." The small dove then stretches her wings and takes to the sky. I wave good bye, until she is nothing more than a small white dot on the horizon.

"You're a weirdo."

"Shut up, Ayano."