S M I L E S

I sat in class the next day wanting to jump out of the window. I hate sitting in the same place for so long.

I looked over at Rose who kept making silly faces at me, I ofcourse made them back. Layla then walked in the class and Rose and I grew silent. This was the first time we saw her in person since her boyfriend had beat the shit out of her.

She slightly smiled at us but Rose just stared at her. She sat in the back of the classroom holding her notebook tightly against her chest. Underneath her eye was slightly black and blue, like she was trying to cover up it up with makeup. Just like she's been doing; covering up all of the physical and emotional pain.

After class me and Rose stopped Layla from leaving as Mr. Jones left to get coffee. Rose held onto Layla's face.

"Look at what he's doing to you Layla. You're too beautiful and too strong to be putting up with his bullshit." Rose said to her frustrated.

"You don't understand Rose. Get the fuck off of me." She yelled pushing Rose's hands from her face.

"We love you, He doesn't or else he wouldn't be doing this shit to you. He's a coward, he's weak you're so much better than this baby girl can't you see?" I asked Layla.

"Just leave me alone! Yall wouldn't understand. He didn't mean to hit me it was a accident." She yelled back.

"Really?! So that day he beat your ass on the porch was the first time he ever hit you?!" Rose yelled.

"No, but-"

"But what?! He's done it before and he's just gonna keep doing it. Unless you leave. We'll help you Layla, please let us help you" I said interrupting Layla.

Rose nodded and took Layla's hand softly smiling.

"Fine." Layla whispered as taking my hand. We all hugged tightly as tears rolled down Layla's face.

The next class begin to walk in interrupting our hug. We all walked out of the classroom confident that we'll help Layla out of this.

I sat on the overly crowded  bus with Carlos feeling nothing but alone. I've had so much to vent and talk about but I haven't been able to tell my friends. They've been so occupied with their own issues I don't want to make them worry about me also. I can't talk to Carlos. I barely even know him, which is why I'm extremely happy to be on my way to therapy, well not happy but relieved.

I've had so much on my plate lately it's just more than I'd like to handle. I want to be happy and stress free but Everytime I am I know it's going end soon so I basically count down the minutes until it does.

Me and Carlos chatted about surface things, nothing more. I then saw Layla's boyfriend, Khalil get on the bus looking like the cinnamon stick from Apple Jax.

He stood beside me as I sat looking down at my phone texting Rose.

Khalil then grabbed me by my hair pulling me off of the seat.