B A B E

DeAndre stared at me intensely as we sat in the OBGYN room waiting for the doctor to come in.

She finally walked in with a nurse who was rolling in a ultrasound machine. I laid back in the hospital gown that clinged to my skin. I was extremely nervous, it felt like my heart was beating out of chest.

I scooted to the edge of the bed as she stuck an ultrasound tool inside of me. I took a deep breath as she moved it around in search for the baby.

Finally we saw what looked like a germ on the screen. I began to smile.

"There's your baby!" She said as smiling.

DeAndre walked up to the screen and began to smile.

A wave of happiness washed over me. I felt warmth and chills down my body. All of my fears washed away. A life is really growing inside of me.

I can't believe I have a little baby inside of me. My child, something so beautiful that me and DeAndre made.

I smiled as wiping away a tear of happiness.

"It looks like a little speck" I said as laughing. DeAndre began to smile.

"Our speck" he said as rubbing tummy.

The doctor smiled at the both of us and then stopped the ultrasound once she finished taking a couple of pictures.

"So you're 8 weeks pregnant. And I will like to see you again in a month" she said as smiling. I nodded as getting ready to put my clothes on. The doctor left the room leaving me and DeAndre alone in a silence.

I began to put my clothes on as he watched.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing." He replied.

He then left the room leaving me alone. I got dressed frustrated wondering what was wrong with him.

We just saw our child for the first time. I'm not going to let him ruin my happiness because he's acting childish.

I walked into the waiting room and saw DeAndre's mom smiling.

"What'd they say?" She asked as standing up.

"Just that the baby's fine... Where is DeAndre?" I asked as looking around.

"He went for a walk don't worry." She replied as smiling.

We both walked out of the hospital and into the parking lot. I had my hand on the cars door as looking around for DeAndre. He then knocked on the window in the back seat catching my attention. I rolled my eyes and got into the car along with his mom.

The drive was silent. His mom looked at the two of us curiously.

"What's wrong?" She began. "My grand baby is healthy and you two should be happy" she said as looking at me then back and DeAndre.  I shrugged not even knowing what was wrong with the two of us.

His whole entire mood just seemed to have changed after we saw the ultrasound.

We laid in his bed silently and I was still wondering what was wrong with him. He wouldn't talk to me and just tell me instead of dragging his attitude along.

"I'm scared" he began as looking up at the ceiling. "I feel like I really have something to loose and that scares me."

"DeAndre don't worry. I've been eating healthy and I stopped smoking the second I found out." I replied as rubbing his face. He nodded and then smiled at me.

I sometimes feel like the man in our relationship but at the same time I understand that a relationship is a partnership. We both have our weak moments and in order for us to make this work one of us have to be the strong one to get the other back on their feet. It took me a while to understand that.

I smiled.

"We're having a baby." I said as smiling. He smiled back and then kissed my lips deeply.

We then heard his mom scream for help.