E X P O

The experience of meeting your child for the first time. Its unexplainable, you fall in love with a complete stranger instantly. You have this desire to protect them from all the ugly in the world and give them everything beautiful that life has to offer. You hold them the closest to your heart because after all, they are the ones who live, breathe, and grow right beneath your heart.

There were so many holes in his mom's story and it just didn't sit right with me. I went over every detail in my head over and over again, I had so many questions luckily I was meeting up with my auntie the next day so maybe she could help me sort this thing out.

"What?!" My auntie replied to my story as slamming the breaks on her car and instantly pulling over. She lit a cigarette and hopped out of the front seat walking over to my side of the car. "Whatever you do, Niiyah do not sign a single fucking thing! She is trying to get over on you and get full custody of your child! Im telling you!" She quickly called my mom and explained to her what DeAndre's mom had told me.

"What the fuck?!" My mom responded.

"Thats the same thing I said its a bunch of bullshit!" My auntie replied.

"I just- I don't understand what any of this means and its kinda scaring me" I said to my auntie as breaking down in tears.

"Don't cry Niiyah, you're stronger than this. Do not sign anything and just let them know that you're not going to do it, you looked into it and changed your mind." She said before taking a drag of your cigarette. "You are a mother now, you are a lion who has to do whatever it takes to protect your cub. And after everything you've been through I know you're more than strong enough. You have to play it smart, think fast and move in silence and figure out a way to move you and your child out that fucking house fast. The situation is no longer safe for you or her. His mom wants to take your child." I nodded understanding completely what I had to do.

"You know some shit is going to go down when you tell him no, right?" Layla said on the phone with me.

"I don't know.." I replied.

"Girl you know how both him and his mom is you're going to tell them no they're going to spazz out on you and you're going to have to call the cops and pack your bags and leave." 

"I just hope it goes well, I want to try to talk to DeAndre alone first and then we'll talk to his mom together."

"That shit ain't gonna work you're going to have to take my niece and leave."

My heart trembled to her words but I knew she was right and that was she was saying was true. I pushed everything to the back of my head for the next couple of days and tried to act as normal as possible around them but I felt so out of place and uncomfortable. 

I sat down on the porch with DeAndre as the rain poured down around us and our daughter slept upstairs peacefully in her crib. I clenched on the baby monitor tightly as he rolled up a blunt with a lit cigarette in his hands before gently touching my thigh, I slightly flinched. It was time to talk to him but I couldn't get the words out of my mouth, they just wouldn't come out. So I waited, he inhaled then inhaled again and still, I was silent trying to sum up the courage to tell him how I felt and that I had changed my mind.

"DeAndre..."