Maximus.

Kai

I walk into the last class of the day and would you look at that, i'm actually early. Austin takes his seat and as soon as i sit down the teacher moves a desk next to me.

"Uhh?" i look at her with a what the fuck are you doing look. She looks at me with a little terror in her eyes, but she gulps and sighs.

"We have a new student coming in and i have no more room anywhere else, so he's going to be sitting next to you" she covers up her fear with a little smile then walks off.

New student...

I turn around to see a blonde haired dude with blue eyes. I've never seen him around here before...

That dude what bumped into me!

"What?! Are you serious?" i snap at the teacher and she turns around to me with a face of embarrassment.

"I-" she cuts cut off by the door opening. I turn to the door to see Anna and the dude that bumped into me looking at me with confusion.

Actually, this could be pretty fun... a smirk grows on my face as i stare at Anna and pretty boy. You came to the wrong school buddy.

I'm gonna make his school year a living hell.

"Kai this is Kendall Meyers... he's going to be sitting next to you for the rest of the year" the teacher gulps and smiles.

I watch pretty boys expression fall to the ground when he hears the news. His face full of terror.

"Uh mrs jefferies, are you sure that's... uh okay? Kendall's new here and Kai has problems..." Anna pauses and gulps "socializing..." she looks at the teacher to avoid looking at me.

I look at her like a puppy with my head tilted in confusion. I have problems socializing? Ouch that kinda stung...

"Yea, i'm sorry, i tried to look for a seat for him, but the only choice was next to Kai" the teacher looks at me then pretty boy.

I huff and sit down in my seat as i look at Austin whose mouthing the words damn. I raise my eyebrows in agreement then roll my eyes.

Pretty boy hesitantly sits down next to me as i glare at him. He looks over at Anna, but my glare doesn't leave.

"Kaiii" Anna snaps me out of my glare and i groan as i turn back to all the work on my desk which makes me groan louder.

I finish all the work and after i turn it in, i rip a piece of paper then form it into a ball. I look at pretty boy to see him casually working on his work, so i throw the little ball at his face forcefully, making him look at me.

"Yikes, my hand slipped" i smirk. He looks at me then his eyes shift to Anna. What that fuck is she gonna do? You can't depend on people.

"It's okay" he sighs and turns back around to his work. I turn to Anna whose shaking her head with disappointment.

Ugh whatever. The bell finally rings and once pretty boy stands up, I wrap my leg around his ankle, causing him to fall to the ground. Everyone laughs, he just lays there stunned.

"Gosh, what is with me today?" I shake my head with a smirk on my face. Austin walks up to me laughing then we walk out of class and outside the school. He gets in the passenger seat of my car as I sit on the drivers seat and blast music. We arrive at my house within a minute and I walk in to Maximus walking up to me. His face is so... drained...

"Hey boy!" I kneel down and pet him. He just stands there. I start to sway him side to side so we can play, but he doesn't respond. "Are you ok buddy?" I look around his body with concern on my face to see if anything hurt him or something. Nothing.

"Maybe tired from the fight yesterday" Austin kneels down next to me and pets Max. I look at him, we both know that's not the case.

"Austin, this dog has a lot of energy after every fight, Maximus never gets tired until it's time to go to sleep" I turn back to Maximus whose just not being his goofy self. His face just looks so... sad. He's walking pretty slow and his tail completely down, which is rare for an always happy Maximus.

 He's walking pretty slow and his tail completely down, which is rare for an always happy Maximus

"Stop thinking like that Kai, there's obviously a reason for this behavior. He probably got stung by a bee or something" Austin tries to lift the mood by chuckling at the last sentence.

I'm trying my best to think that was the case, but this dog has tried his best to make me happy ever since i was born... it's now my turn to be there for him. I stand up and get his Kong dog toy then lay on the floor shaking it.

"Come on Maxy!" I laugh. He slowly walks over with a little playful face. He picks it up then plops right down on my chest as he bites into it. His paws continuously fall on me while he's trying to holding the Kong up, which makes me laugh and playfully pet him.

"Incoming!" Austin runs and jumps onto Max laughing. Maximus drops the Kong and starts to playfully bite Austin.

I laugh then we all start to calm down. Austin gets off of Maximus then lays on the floor next to me while petting Max, whose standing up as he's licking us back and forth.

"This dog practically raised us Aust" Austin and I laugh then look at Max. Sounds silly, but it's true, he was even with mom as she grew up, protecting her. He now took the roll of protecting Austin and I as we grew up since mom had dad always by her side, protecting her.

Suddenly Max's breathing starts to get rougher and he starts to wheeze, causing Austin and I to stand up in horror.

"Max calm down boy!" I rub his throat and neck while Austin tries to calm him by petting him everywhere.

His wheezing just becomes more and more serious to the point where he collapses into my lap.

"MOM!!" Austin and I both shout. We keep trying to help Max, but his breathing is getting slower and slower by the second. Running comes from the stairs and I turn to see everyone hovering over us.

"WHAT HAPPENED?" dad picks up Max and lays him down on the couch. I explain everything as I shake. I'm scared. Yea, I'm scared. I can't loose this dog, not only will it break me, it'll especially break mom and I'm never prepared to see her cry.

"Max baby calm down please" mom tears up then picks up Max's head and lays it down her on lap gently. Everything becomes a blur. The guys are trying their hardest to get Max's breathing back to normal while they freak out, but we all know we can't do anything. Call me a pessimist, but it's true.

His wheezing slows down and his breathing becomes silent.

Death of Maximus Archer, Tuesday at 4:02pm.