Good to Bad News

Lock

"I wanna be on the Red Hooders team" Kai straight out says with stern in his voice as he looks directly at me without expression.

I always knew the day would come when he would want to be involved in my team. Most fathers would be honored to hear their son want to be apart of their gang, but the truth is I don't want Kai in this. When Butterfly first got here she was already kidnapped... the guys were kidnapped, even death was close to them. It's way to dangerous for him and I can't have anything happening to my one and only son.

I couldn't live with knowing his first word was "dadda" and his last one being "dad help!" or some shit like that. I know Kai is capable of sooo much, he's so concentrated and engaged to what he does, I'm just not ready for all the danger he will be involved him. Yea, he's been in danger since he was born, but he's under so much protection and the enemy's know if they mess with my son, their done for. So when they figure out he's apart of the team, being out in the open now, they will go directly to him.

"Kai" I sigh "it's way too dangerous"

"Dad, I'm an undefeated boxer! I..." he pauses "i wanna work with you guys" he says with a straight face.

I gulp then look at his pure self. Boy I love that I raised him to have my attitude, but not when he's giving me the attitude.

"I'll think about it" I look at him "just go get sleep, you have school tomorrow kid" I ruffle his hair as I walk past him then up the stairs.

I open my bedroom door to see Butterfly on her phone, all cuddled up in the blanket. I jump on the bed right beside her and wrap my arm around her.

"Ew you're here" she puts her phone down and looks at me.

"Damn that sucks for you because I'm staying with you forever" I smirk.

She laughs and kisses my cheek.

"What did Kai need?" she lays her head on my chest and pull the covers up.

"Uh... just help with girl problems" I hesitate to think of an excuse. I know she needs to know, but I don't wanna risk dying tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

"Lock" she catches onto my game and says with a nagging mother tone.

"Kai he uh..." I sigh, just rip it off like a bandaid. "wants to be apart of the Red Hooders" I close my eyes, ready for the hitting to begin, but nothing happens so I open my eyes to see Butterfly with wide eyes.

"What?! No Lock, it's way too dangerous" she sits up.

"That's what I told him but he wouldn't budge, I told him I'll think about it" I pause "I don't know Butterfly! I'm stressing" I sit up and roughly run my fingers through my hair.

"Don't stress baby" she wraps an arm around me and leans her head on my arm. "We knew this day would happen, we knew our little Kai would grow up wanting to be involved in his dad's life. And I know you and the boys will be by his side, not letting anything happen to him... I'm just worried someone will catch him while you're off guard or something" she traces the muscle lines on my arm.

"I know Butterfly, but you and I both know we won't let anything happen to him, like you said. I'm always going to protect my son, even if he's capable of doing this on this own. What do you say? Let him join us?" I look over at her and play with her hair.