bonus chapter

He was good at one thing.

Discipline.

Most of the articles about him and his father empire had been how the Adeleke's catapulted KLERG to such a fast growing company in the country and Africa Economy. At 29 years of age now, he had a striking resemblance with his father, even in attitudes. Paul had a face that stopped people in their tracks. He was tall with a broad shoulder and quiet a well sculptured body type that spelt out African heritage, he always had a low haircut, clean shave , solemn brows offset by a handsome weak smile.

From afar you could refer to Paul as a gentleman but when it comes to work, his name usually rein in some manners, especially whenever he was around. That, his father was always proud of even if he acts ruthless and spoilt sometimes.

He had informed the Manager that he would be coming to Kwara basically for one reason. To set some odds right, to straighten some crayfish-bent backs and he was not going to be easy on anyone.

Especially when he saw the name Mide Geantry flickered across his monitor screen in on a flight back from UAE. He thought it was a joke or maybe someone else bear the same name but not as much as the third name also. He knew his old friend very well for one thing.

Greed.

What is Mide up to this time?

He almost push the talk over when one of his assistant called it to lime light, then he took a preview of the name of the executives of the refinery to check their profile only to find the name Mide Geantry again blinking back at him. He remembered the last time he saw Mide and he couldn't help brushing through her.

Her.

He had smirk at his monitor. He just hoped he would not be seeing her, at least she won't be at the same place he left her three years ago. Then, he thought she was different that she wanted something much more different from other women. She was not a bit odd from them. Like an intermission set in - he felt empty.

Maybe he shouldn't have thought of her anyway but he couldn't since the first reason was the name on the screen.

The question was: what did Mide Geantry want this time?  What exactly did he want by crawling over the walls of Klerg?

By the time he arrived in the morning in his usual black suit among his team that stood out exceptionally well, the staff gaped back in awe. He had heard about his reputation cross-like that he loved a good work at the right time and most of them don't like it well. That was none of his business....until they do worse.

Why not work hard till you get more. He hated Hippocrates and won't tolerate nonsense.

While getting comfortable with a cup of coffee, Mide had came into the Executive office with some top officials of the refinery , the place was exquisitely furnished to meet his taste just as it has always been in every of Klerg branch. He rested his eyes on him for a few seconds without showing his emotions. He was about to make life more miserable for him and he hoped he would hold on and hold out till he finish with him.

When it was time to meet the staff, he made sure to tell the manager to stand up while Mide who was standing with others to fill in the space.
Mide obliged since the Director was his superior, Paul knew that his position was an assistant manager and the smug on his face pacified the pitiable manager that he was not about to punish him, at least not yet.

Everyone exchanged looks at it but no one dared to say anything. He tapped the mic gently as he started talking.

"Good morning."

"Good morning sir."

"Well some of you are still taking in the news that I am here but don't let that bother you too much as long as you are diligent then we are good. Since time bomb of five minutes is about to explode I want everyone to feel at ease with me. Easy..."

" So let me state the reason for my coming. Some people would have prepared a ceremonial welcome to play politics and even have someone else in their stead but this is Paul, I don't joke when it comes to Klerg holdings. I deal with every issue one on one. I have a question to ask with a sincere answer. You don't need to answer if you have none. Show me a hand if Klerg has really change your life, standard of living from bad to good or good to the best?" He asked bluntly.

Without hesitation, every hand went up in the air including Mide's.

"Just be honest." He repeated and the hands remained up. "Put them down. But there are some people here who will make you lose your job, send you back to take the position of looking for a job. I could have send the audit team here with me alone and I will have my answer just in three days but I hate corruption and I will make those proposing secretly that you should go home without a kobo to be sent home by the time I am done."

That was accompanied by an applaud. The people were warming up to him but he wanted it to be for that day. "It might look like a python dance carried out in the north to get them out. I hate laziness, I hate it when you don't contribute and also, I hate lateness with quick passion. So today grip yourself if you belong to those three categories..." his eyes caught a quiet stir at the entrance but he continued. "At the end of the two months that I will be here, let us say merry Christmas with enough goodies to..." his eyes was forced back to the door as a familiar image zoomed in. the rest of the statement slipped down his throat.

It was her.

He blinked twice, structuring her face again. The clothes she wore went along with her caramel skin, her black almond eyes grew large under those long and thick eye lashes. Obi remained beautiful from afar than the last time he saw her. He stilled himself to adsorb the fact that she was looking back at him.

What is this charade?

Why was she standing in front of him after he vowed never to see her again? He was good at reading people's mind. when they saw the way his eyes never left hers and the silence that followed was ticking. He loved using his cold demeanor to get out the best most time others try to add up the puzzles about him. He felt a painful memory was about to play in his mind, then he stopped thinking. Rather he tore his eyes from her, tapped the mic again to continue his speech.

"Home. If you won't be able to comply with the rules I will be stating, then I believe you have the right to leave the company. No worries, your entitlements will be given to you."

He did not bother for any question and rose up to leave.  His secretary, Michel, reminded him of the lunch he was to have with the governor of the state in the position of his father who was in London with the rest of the family on a holiday.

As he entered his awaiting car, he couldn't stop his mind flipping back to Obi. She definitely just found out who he was, why should that bother him? After all she was cozing up with his old friend. Leopards never changes their skin.

Why should he ever acknowledge her existence? It was a case closed, and it should remain like that forever.

No guilt found. No offense taken.