57

She dropped the pen after the full stop. Maybe she should have typed it in her phone but she felt more personal about it with her handwriting. Obi eyed her old room and she was glad to have her apartment back. It was relieving the police dismissed the case and let her have her place back.

She heard the knock on the door and hesitated before she headed out to check who was it.

"Geez! I'm about to break it down" Lola's fist was raised in the air, about to bang again. "You're already turning into a zombie! Is this what the trip to Abuja reduced you too?"

Obi left the door for her to come in. Abuja was disastrous for her at the end that she didn't wait for daybreak at the hotel that she used money to take an early bus from a motor park. It was a stressful journey for her but she used the time to think deeply about her life. It was never going to remain the same. And to top it, three days, it's been three days she left the party, that she left him and she didn't bother to look back.

"Why did you turn off your phone?" Lola was standing in the middle of her living room, giving her that stern look.

"I lost it." That was a lie. She threw it in her laundry basket.

"Because?"

"Because it reminded me of him"

"I wish I was there with you."

"There is nothing you could have done. I expected too much, Lol"

"And those papers keep blabbering rubbish....geez.... I didn't know it's the same Bellafrica that I followed on Instagram! But that doesn't explain why you went into hiding"

"I saw the papers too. Lies upon lies and they even granted an interview to follow the engagement." Obi quickly waved the images she stumbled on her laptop away from her mind. She had been practicing that lately.

"But where have you been?" Lola stepped closer to her now. "You really got me worried."

Her eyes were trained on her bedroom door.

"Inside? You mean you've been inside since two days I've been parading this place?"

"I just want to be alone, I'm sorry for any inconveniences"

"Stop talking like that! Nick kept calling my phone like he owns it. You didn't go back to the mansion and I have been worried!"

"It's a long story." Obi sighed, going into her bedroom to lie down.

Her friend followed her. "When was the last time you had a bath? Look at your room."

She only shrugged in response. Her room looked exactly like her and she wasn't ready to put anything in place until she was herself again. At least she missed her room while she was at Harrison's.

Few minutes later, Lola already dragged her to the bathroom for a thorough bath. Her hair became kicker, looked like it would take time to brush out.

"You know what? I don't like how moody you are. Just spill everything right now" she placed a bowl of pepper soup that she brought with her on the dressing table while obi zipped up the gown she was wearing at the back.

"It is just the way it has been. Sour, sweet, bitter." She bit her lower lip as those words came out. "You were right"

"That?"

"I still love him."

"That son of a bitch!"

"But I just feel like getting over it. End the Harrison chapter and start anywhere with myself. I just went there to disgrace myself. You know to be with someone should not be a negotiation in the first place. When Nick lodged me into a hotel that night to avoid the drama, I felt like the other woman and it hurts so much because literally I am in the real picture." Now tears were roaming down on her face but she wasn't even sobbing. "I tried to believe every of his words, to hang in a bit but I couldn't each time I remember that they've already announced it to the world."