42

Obi should get up but the bed was not letting her body go. It was so comfortable that she snuggled more, hugging the pillow, pulling the comforter around her to reach her neck to keep out the cold. Why was Lola not coming to her room to draw her out of bed for breakfast? Maybe she left for the office already. Drawing her lazy eyes apart, the first thing she noticed was the sun blazing through the window and it didn't look like morning at all. Wait, she slept till afternoon? While she tried to sit up, she hit her head on the bed frame thus making her scowl in pain. Slowly she gathered her thoughts to keep her mind update. First, this was her room, like her room in Harrison's house. Second, that led her to reminding herself of the outing last night. How come she didn't remember how she got here? Why didn't he just take her back to Lola's place?

Getting out of bed, she realized she was still wearing her previous day cloth. Two glasses of wine and she ended up drunk. Obi swore never to taste a drop of alcohol again. She went into the bathroom, silently thankful that her things were still there. She put paste on her toothbrush and did her routine. She was rinsing her face when her eyes caught the glitter on her finger. Wow.... She looked closely at the ring. It was a big rock that she imagined how extreme Harrison was taking this fake engagement of a thing. Not bothering to remove it, she finished her job and pulled out a black jean and an ash sweatshirt that has an hoodie. She always hated harmattan.
Her phone vibrated on the dresser just as she finished.

"finally you are awake! " Lola yelled at her from the other end.

"Good morning to you too."

"I almost thought one of you killed each other when I didn't see you at my place. I came 5a.m to break Mr. Harrison's  door down to check maybe he kidnapped you back to his place but being bossy as he is, he met me at the gate and told me if he gets to Klerg before me by a minute, my job is over! I drove like mad to beat his driver to it. "

That was it. He left her at home, left for work. He was acting everything was normal between the two of them.

"So, you got into a car race competition with your boss? Lola you drive recklessly sometimes. "

"You should have seen his priceless face when I welcomed him to work and told him if I find out he hurt a hair on your head, his four car tires would be on fire."

"What? " Obi laughed. "Lola, don't be mean every time. "

"I'm not. So, gist me. Where did you guys go to? Was it romantic? Are you really getting married now? "

"Date? No. We only attended a governor's birthday dinner. "

"Are you kidding me?"

"Huh... " she snorted as she head out of her room. Her legs leading her downstairs. "It was boring. You won't like such occasions. "

"says who? Where you see you celebrity crush or a particular senator that throws chair in aso-rock? Babe, it would be fun."

"And then we came home."

"So he introduced you to people around... "

"That's the worst part. I had to pretend it's real. It was pathetic."

"so you guys went to a birthday dinner, did you kiss after that? You know, you never can tell... "

Obi blinked severally at the mention of kiss. Memories from last night snapped into her mind.

"not at all. I mean... I mean nothing like that happened."

"Girl! I was counting up to thirty seconds. You kissed! I'm going to kill you if you don't tell me eve-"

"Lol, we didn't."

Did they? Not at all. He only leaned closer to whisper something into her ears. What even led to it? She tried to remember but all that came crawling back to her mind was how he excused them from the dinner, maneuver their way out of the venue especially when the reporters tried to get one or two juicy story, she was strapped with a seat belt and he drove them home.