11

"Lol?" Obi called out immediately she got home. Her apartment was one of the two bedroom flats in an estate that was fenced around with red bricks, one of the feature that made her to pour out all of her savings for the place. walking through the black gate, you could see interlocks that cover the ground. Beside her own apartment which was separated from her neighbors by a small lawn and flowers. Her place was the fourth flat and very private from the rest. She didn't find Lola's car parked outside but noticed the door wasn't locked when she tried to open it with her keys. She looked the door up and down bemusedly guessing if she should proceed inside.

"Obi, Obi." Lola sang from around the house, she later appeared holding a hose with water splashing over the lawn. "Just want to help the carpet grass from drying. Only God know the last time you wet it. Dry season is here and Ilorin is hot already."

She sighed, "I am about to panic that my house has been robbed."

"Well, my car is faulty, so I called my mechanic, tell him the location and got a taxi home."

"Great. What if it got picked by someone else who is good with stolen vehicles?"

"I got that covered. So what happened to your asshole fiancé."

Obi glared at her before entering the sitting room. She wouldn't allow Mide to be talked down like that."He is just concerned."

She yelled back at her, the hose making a spluttering noise. "I can't hear you."

"I am sorry for how he behaves sometime." She began to remove her shoes flinging it to the across the floor as she padded barefoot to the kitchen to get herself a cup of cold water.

"Well?..." Lola was standing in the kitchen entrance now with her hands on her hips. she was wearing a white tank over a jean short. Obi knew a moment like this would definitely come but she need a cold shower or something to help her ease her mind.

"Mide was just protective."

"Over protective and he is so good with aggression transfer. That was not the first time he acted like that whenever he sees you with another guy."

Obi shrugged. She knew her friend wanted an explanation that doesn't include poor Daniel and the look in those eyes told her she was not leaving the entrance soon. "I am hungry, like seriously."

"I am not taking the bullshit that you don't want to talk about something I really want to know."

"Please can I just have a bath?"

"You know that bad temper when you can't fix anything after a break up. I lose my temper because of Y chromosomes these days."

"Chill...Shile broke up with you yesterday. Not even up to 24hrs."Obi started unbuttoning her shirt as she walked into her bedroom. Switched on the light and a pale lilac shade fell across her face.

"Did you and Mide fight?" Lola pressed further.

She frowned frustratingly. She didn't mean to sound annoying, she just need sometime to herself.

"Okay,". Was what Lola said before filing out of her room.

She removed her remaining clothing and dropped them on the floor after her, a peach towel wrapped around her body before opening the bathroom door. She stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was looking depressed and rejected and... alone. She should be happy that she finally found love, she shouldn't be thinking about what Mide said but it was troubling her mind. He sounded like he was getting tired of standing up for her.

She took time to shower allowing the cold water run down every corner of her body. Later she was dressed in a small blue flower printed gown that flowed freely to her mid-thigh.

"Lol?" she reached the living room but her friend was not there. She went into the kitchen but it was empty. She cringed as the sun fell across her face when she went to the backyard to check the lawn if she was there... but no.

What? She left? She shouldn't be so mad. She should try to understand her.

Groaning, obi went inside to get her phone to call her and to make herself something to eat. While bringing out the spagh carton from the cabinet, she was using her other hand to dial Lola's number. It kept ringing without her picking up.

Right.

When she was trying to pretend her life will be normal again, her best friend was taking some anger out on her.

She boiled the water on the stove, poured the pasta in it. She was blending the ball peppers and tomatoes to make sauce when the front door opened and closed. She stopped the machine, trying to listen for movement or if it her ears disturbing her..

She lifted her brows when she heard nothing beside the pot that whistled on the stove. She walked to the living room and her eyes landed on a big white box sitting on the sofa, a small note tucked into its blue ribbon that was tied around it.

"Lol?" No answer.

Now she was feeling creepy. She went over to the paper box, lifted it to feel what was inside.

"Just drop that." Lola entered, she was wearing her mischief look.

"Where have you been and what is this?"

"I should be the one asking those ques...what is this smell?" her nose lifted in the air disgustingly and Obi rushed back into the kitchen to switch off the stove. Her pasta would smell burnt now. But that doesn't answer her questions, she was curious.

Lola put the box on the dining table, turned around to face her squarely. "My idiotic best friend has been up to some things behind my back. You should be telling me you are sorry."

"Sorry for what? You brought in a box and.."

"Actually it is for you and you are not getting it until you spill everything. But I will give you a hand. It is for as a romantic diner to clear a misunderstanding by m..."

"Mide?" oh, he should definitely tell her sorry for saying those words. She felt lighthearted and eyed Lola. "So sweet."

"That?"

"Must you know about my relationship every time?"

"I just want to know why Paul Harrison or Paul Adeleke or whatever told you to be at Gloom bridges charity and he specifically went ahead to buy you a dress?" she was glaring at her like she could spit venom.

"H-Harry?" she stuttered almost like whispering.

Lola snatched the small note from the box with two fingers. "I saved the rest of the note for you. Should I get you a mirror for you to see how priceless you look right now?" she threw back her head her face transforming into a vibrating laugh.

Obi shut her mouth when she heard that. Her slow beats were beginning to increase in her chest as she digested Lola's information. He was not going to fire her after the outburst? he definitely want to talk...and clear misunderstanding? Bluff! He must be planning to do something more embarrassing to her and she must not take this sudden offer with joy.

"Now, spill."

"Did he bring this?"

"Silly, M and M delivered it while you were sulking in your bedroom."

M and M was not just any boutique, it was a place only rich people patronize.

So while she was thinking Lola got angry and left, she was not affected by her attitude after all.

"You should have waited if I would accept it or not and I don't want it."

"It is a delivery man and he can't wait."

"You are killing me softly Lol, you already know about Harry."

"Tell me everything from the beginning." She rolled her eyes. "Again. This time with good details."

They both got seated at the dining after Lola got them cereal and milk since both of them were too hungry to finish making the sauce for the pasta.

"Well...?" Lola nodded slowly for her to start.

"It is hard for me to start talking about him, thinking about him is very hard. Lola it was a mistake I never want to make in my life, again." Obi used her spoon to turn the cereal around playfully in her bowl, her appetite evaporating slowly.