fake it 'til you make it | bill

"Hi there, what can I get for you today?" She asked in an amiable tone, a welcoming grin on her face.

The man ordered his coffee then moved to the side so she could ring up the next customer. Before she greeted the petite woman in front of her, her phone began to buzz in her pocket. Luckily they were over staffed so she grabbed one of her co-workers to work the till before slipping out back to answer the phone.

"Hello?" She answered the phone, taking a step into the crisp, fall morning.

"(Y/N), it's your mother," a familiar voice said.

(Y/N) sighed in displeasure. She loved her mother dearly but no one could deny how different the two were from each other.

"I'm at work, mom. What's up?" She said, crossing her unoccupied arm under her chest.

"I'm calling to let you know that I'm driving out to see for lunch," (Y/M/N) said, completely catching her daughter off guard.

"I'm sorry, what?" (Y/N) choked, straightening herself out at her mother's words.

"I've come to the realization that we don't see much of each other, therefore I thought I'd take you and that guy you're seeing out for lunch at the country club," she said in a nonchalant tone. (Y/N)'s eyes went wide with terror. She had completely forgotten about the fake boyfriend she had created just to please her mother.

Last she saw of (Y/M/N), she was more or less harassing her for not having been in a steady relationship and how she was running out of time. Therefore, (Y/N) impulsively claimed she was in fact seeing someone. She wasn't. Now, her lies had finally caught up to her which she knew was bound to happen at some point.

She couldn't give up on it now and add to the pile of growing disappointment. "Oh, yeah. We'll both be there," she said, her stomach nearly exploding with guilt.

"Perfect. See you in a few hours." The line went dead.

(Y/N) dropped her phone to her side, thousands of thoughts coursing through her head as to how she was supposed to get a boyfriend in less than three hours.  After contemplating whether or not to fake her own death just to get out of lunch with her mother, she finally went back inside to finish her shift.

With the next thirty or so minutes that  passed, she couldn't shake the thought of how displeasing her mother could legitimately ruin her. (Y/M/N) would never forgive her for this, that was for certain.

The customer on the other side of the counter then cleared their throat, snapping (Y/N) out of her thoughts and back to reality. She looked up and was greeted by the familiar face of a regular customer.

"Morning, Bill. The usual?" She said, getting his coffee cup ready.

"You know it," he said with a wink, leaning against the counter with his kind smile. "How has your morning been so far, (Y/N)?" He asked, his pale green eyes filled with a genuine interest.

(Y/N) did find Bill quite handsome, however he was an up and coming actor whereas she was only a barista. That left her with the realization that it would never work between the two, at least nothing more than friends.

"So far so good," she lied. "You?" Pieces of her conversation with her mother began flooding back into her mind.

Bill shrugged. "Same old."

She then served him his coffee but he chose to stay at the counter. "You know, we should really start hanging out. Somewhere other than this place," he said, catching (Y/N) by surprise.

All of a sudden, her eyes shot open as a light bulb went off in her head. Bill was handsome, friendly, and, well, a man. On top of it all, he was an actor which only made the lightbulb in her head grow brighter.