the boss | roman

It was her second week working at Godfrey Industries as the assistant to Dr. Clive Upton. Saying he was an asshole was an understatement. Whenever anything went wrong he'd blame her so he wouldn't have to take the heat, he'd also lash out at her if she made even the smallest mistake. The other day, she didn't make his coffee at the right temperature and he hurtled it across his office, missing her head by a few inches. However, she couldn't afford to leave, she had been wanting that job for so long and she wasn't about to let it go just because of some douche bag of man.

"(Y/N)!" Dr. Upton called from his office, his voice hoarse and ominous. The young woman shot up from her desk and was at his door in a heartbeat.

"Yes, Doctor?" she spoke, her voice soft but loud enough so he could hear.

"Dr. Pryce has some files for me, go get them," he demanded, not bothering to look up at her as he wrote on some documents.

"Right away, Doctor," she acknowledged before hustling out of his office and towards the elevators.

She rushed down the wing and got the files from Dr. Pryce's assistant. She was never allowed to see what was in them so she tucked them under her arm, careful not to drop any. Promptly, she returned back to Dr. Upton's office, letting herself in. She placed the files on the edge of his desk as he was still busy with the documents from earlier.

"Took you long enough," he mumbled under his breath. She was used to shrewd comments like that from him so she ignored it.

"The files you asked for, Doctor," she informed before turning on her heel to leave.

From behind her, she heard him flipping through them, followed by a loud, irritated sigh. That's when she knew something was wrong and she was about to suffer because of it.

"These aren't the files!" He shouted, swiping them off of his desk. She flinched a the action, not turning to face him.

"Those are the files Dr. Pryce's assistant handed me," (Y/N) informed, her voice so low it was nearly inaudible.

He mockingly laughed. "Did you tell that bitch that I sent you?" He inquired, rising from his desk.

(Y/N) turned to face him, slowly shaking her head. "N-no. She just handed them to me," she replied. He scoffed as he circled around his desk and took steps towards her.

He wasn't going to hurt her. He couldn't, there were cameras everywhere and the walls were glass, someone would surely see. But judging by the look in his eye, she wasn't so sure if he cared whether someone saw or not.

"I can take your job away just as easily as I can snap my fingers!" He was now spitting in her face.  She flinched at the proximity, and his volume.

"I-I'm sorry, Doctor, it won't happen again," she apologized.

"Is everything alright in here?" A deep voice spoke from behind her. Dr. Upton's whole demeanor changed as the voice.

On the brink of tears, (Y/N) turned to face the man however kept her gaze on the ground, too embarrassed to look up.

The doctor nodded his head. "Yes, Mr. Godfrey, everything is just fine," he said.

Godfrey.  The CEO. At that moment, she knew she'd lose her job if the doctor said the wrong thing.

"I was talking to her," Mr. Godfrey retorted, his eyes shooting daggers into Dr. Upton.

Hesitantly, she nodded,  she didn't want to seem like she couldn't handle her position.

"Yes, sir, everything's fine," she replied in an obvious lie. She could see in his emerald eyes that he wasn't convinced.

"Dr. Upton, care to tell me why I could hear you from the other side of the building?" Godfrey asked, clearly upset with the man.

"She got me the wrong files, sir, I was irritated to say the least," he replied, his tone of voice a lot calmer than before.

Mr. Godfrey chuckled, taking a step towards the doctor. "So you think being irritated gives you the audacity to THREATEN ONE OF MY EMPLOYEES?" He shouted, causing the doctor to stumble back.

"N-no, sir, it doesn't," he replied. "I'm very sorry, it won't happen again." Oh, how the tables have turned.

Mr. Godfrey turned his gaze to (Y/N), his expression softening. "What's your name?" He asked, his tone lowered.

"(Y/N)," she replied.

"(Y/N)," he repeated, the way it rolled off of his tongue was almost as if it had significant meaning to him. "Grab your things, you no longer work for this scumbag because he no longer works for me. From now on, you're my assistant," he informed. Dr. Upton's expression blanked. He just got fired by the CEO himself.

He turned back to the doctor who stood there, dumbfounded. "I'll be back within the hour and you will be gone, understood?" He said, cocking a brow at the man. The doctor subtly nodded. "Good," he said.

He then placed his large hand on the small of her back. "I'm Roman," he introduced as he guided her out of the office. "And I promise you, you won't have to deal with someone like that ever again," he assured with a charming grin.