Chapter 19

~~~~~~~~~~

Reaper P.O.V

I could have stayed with Geno in my arms for forever, but life obviously had other plans.

When we heard quick footsteps approaching the cell we were occupying, Geno jumped away from me like he had just been electrocuted, looking to the door warily. I gave him a slight, sad smile, which he returned, only as an even sadder version. He wiped at his face furiously, erasing any tear tracks, then applied a slight, fake smile, looking towards the cell door in anticipation.  I sighed softly, turning to the door as well.

Seconds later, Ink burst into the cell, expression frantic. His jerky glances turned to Geno, and he moved closer to the other. When he found that Geno was apparently physically unharmed, his franticness died off a bit, though he still looked worried.

"Geno, I need to talk to you," Ink stated, grabbing his sleeve, and pulling him out of the cell without saying anything else, his mouth twisted into a frown, his eyes tired and regretful.  Geno turned to look at me, and smiled apologetically, then he was gone from sight.

I had a sudden urged to follow the two, but hesitated, then sighed softly, and leant heavily back against the wall of the cell, resolving to wait, though still sending tempted glances towards the door every few seconds.

'He'll be fine, him and Ink are friends, remember? Don't worry so much,' I reminded myself, forcing a smile to hide my worry from the now empty room.

'Yeah...'

~~~~~~~~~~

Geno P.O.V

Ink pulled me out of the cell, leaving Reaper sitting on the bed in an otherwise empty room. Ink had a grim expression written acros his features, and a small frown playing his lips - both of which worried me. We passed a number of cells without speaking, then he stopped, and turned to face me, releasing my sleeve, expression grave, making me feel more than slightly uncomfortable. He was silent for a long while, then he spoke, his voice tired and reluctant.

"Do you like him?" He asked bluntly, eyes serious. I hesitated, then tried an oblivious smile, even though I knew all too well who he was speaking of.

"Like who?" I queried, even though I knew that he knew that I knew what he meant. Ink frowned.

"You know damn well who I'm talking about!" He accused, his mismatched eyes ablaze with sudden fire.  I started, but regained composure quickly.

"Who, Reaper?" I exclaimed, false incredulity smothering my tone. "I seriously doubt that he..." I trailed off when I saw Ink's unamused expression, my slight, amused smile faltering.

"Geno, this is serious! Wake up!  You can't date a prisoner, you're a cop for crying out loud!" Ink ranted, raising his voice.  Some distant, hidden part of my mind cowered as I raised an eyebrow, opening my mouth to speak, but closing it before I could make a sound.

'That didn't stop you' is what I wanted to say, but, not wanting to get Ink even more riled up, I didn't mention his relationship with my younger brother.

"But I'm not dating a prisoner, nor do I want to, so this shouldn't be a problem!" I declared, glaring at Ink, who held his ground.

The truth was, I didn't even know if Reaper and I were dating. I didn't even know if I wanted that to be so.

It seemed a scary prospect, considering my past experiences - though at the same time, the thought made my insides go all fuzzy, and my cheeks turn warm. The feeling derived from the thought was unexplainable - in a good way, of course; comforting almost.

I guess that was love.

I mean, I loved him, - that must be what those feelings were, right?  Scarily big, conflicting, yet fuzzy and positive, all directed towards Reaper; what else could they be called? - I really did.

I just couldn't say it out loud.

I love you.  Those particular three words seemed cursed now, after Classic. It seemed as if they held impending doom, pain, hurt.

I'd say them eventually, - I hoped - because they were the truth, but not yet; I just couldn't.

Eventually, Ink sighed, evidently bored with my silence. He placed a hand on my shoulder, making me tense.

"If you are romantically involved with him, you're going to have to break it off," he stated gently, before pausing, then adding, "If you're involved with him in any way, you're going to have to break it off. I hate to play this card, but if you don't, I'm going to have to fire you."

My head snapped up at that statement, my eyes wide, jaw slackened.

"You can't do that!" I protested, staring at Ink, whose tired, grim expression didn't change.

"I can, and I will if I have to," he retorted, hand at his forehead. "Geno, what'll it be? Either cut off all contact with the prisoner, or hand I your badge, and leave the premises immediately."

When Ink saw my hand itching towards my badge, and my hesitance to accept, he sighed.

"Either way, all contact with the prisoner is severed," he added, crossing his arms. "Will you take the deal, yes or no?"

I slowly turned back to the ground, fists clenched. I could feel Ink's eyes burning into me, awaiting my answer.

Eventually, I breathed out a long, drawn out sigh, releasing my fists, tears pricking at my eyes.

My shoulders slumped in defeat, and I sighed heavily again, glancing around the dimly lit corridor. The light flickered and dimmed occasionally, but the light soon came back, only for the process to repeat itself. It was distracting now that I had noticed it.

I forced my attention back to Ink, sighing yet again. My heart clenched as I finally met Ink's eyes, my own filled with pain. He looked on expectantly, removing his hand from my shoulder.

I drew in a deep breath to calm my slowly shattering heart, then forced a small smile, trying to hide any obvious pain. I blinked my tears away, gripping my arm.

And nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~

i'M SO SORRY GUYS

I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN OVER A WEEK, BUT IT WAS THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL FOR ME, AND I HAD A HELLUVA LOT OF STUFF ON -.-

bUT IT'S ALL OVER NOW SO YEY

HOLIDAYS WOO

AND ALSO, IF YOU GUYS WANT ME TO DO SOMETHING IN HONOR OF CHRISTMAS, JUST LEAVE A SUGGESTION IN THE COMMENTS >.<

OKI BAI I'LL STOP SCREAMING NOW--