Cancer (Twenty Øne Piløts)

It's gonna be a long one, Captains! Fair warning.

I look at the dressing room mirror, staring at my reflection, making sure everything is perfect.

"(Y/N)! Come on, we go on stage in 10." I turn around to see my dance partner, Ally. Her red contacts are in, her neck and hands black, red beanie topping her head.

"Eh, come here. Your Blurry makeup is off slightly." I stand up, walking over to her.

"I don't think it needs to be perfect, but okay." I grab the tube of body paint from the counter and apply it to her makeup sponge. I fix a spot on her neck, then put everything down.

"Perfect. Let's go show them some Twenty Øne Piløts." Ally nods and leads me backstage. I bounce on the balls of my feet. Within a few minutes, I hear the announcer say something.

"And now, we have two dancers coming to perform their dance I'm Not Her, to the song Cancer." I walk on stage, my vans making a soft thud each time they land on the ground. I stand in the middle and prepare myself to start the routine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit in front of the stage, with all the other dancers, waiting to hear if we placed for the competition.

"Okay, now for our creative solos and duets, our third place prize goes to It Hurts." The girl next to me stands up. I grip Ally's hand. "Second place goes to My Sister." My heart rate pumps. After a pair of girls sit back down behind us, I look at Ally anxiously.

"Hey, calm down. It's alright." She grips my hand with her two black painted ones. She winks one of her red eyes. I laugh nervously, readjusting my black and white t shirt.

"And first place goes to I'm Not Her." I look at Ally, my face breaking out into a smile. She grins at me.

"Let's go!" We stand up, and I grab my red backpack and sling it over my shoulders. We walk hand in hand up to the woman holding the trophy and two medals.

"Thank you." We say at the same time once we get handed our things.

"May I ask, what is your dance about?" The man questions. I look at Ally and she gestures as if saying, you can handle this. I turn back to the man and he hands me the microphone.

"Our dance is based off of a band my partner, Ally, and I both love. The band is called Twenty Øne Piløts and they have impacted us in ways most people may not understand. They brought us together as friends, and allowed us to get through something tough. But that's not what you're asking." I laugh awkwardly. People laugh as well, and Ally grips my free hand with her own. "Anyways, Ally's character is based off of the singers, how does Tyler describe it?" I turn back to Ally.

"The embodiment of his anxiety and depression." She mutters.

"The singer's personal embodiment of his fears, anxiety, and depression. He calls it Blurryface. Umm, my character is based off of the singer himself, Tyler Joseph, although for each competition we go to, I will be switching back and forth between being Tyler and the other member of the band, Josh Dun, because he also has his demons, and his anxieties. The dance is the story of how Tyler, or anyone really, starts off happy, excited, doing their own thing, and then slowly, they start to become stoic, not smiling, less happy, as Blurry slowly starts making their self into your life. You become controlled by them, doing what they tell you. Blurry is behind you at the beginning, and you are mostly in control, then slowly, Blurry will start to take control of you, and starts pushing you back. You aren't yourself once they're in control. Then, what we were trying to convey is that Blurry doesn't really go away unless you fight to get it to leave. So, once I started coming upstage a bit more, it was representing me fighting against her, and by the end of the song I fought against Blurry. Got her to leave. And I was happy again."