Chapter 27

Wulfenite woke up in the bed up high in the barn. He saw a bubbled gem floating above him. Lapis was sleeping next to him. Wulfenite poked Lapis in her stomach. "Wake up, beautiful, it's time for a day with me. I have the day off, after all." Lapis woke up slowly. "Really? This is going to be a great day!" Wulfenite jumped down while Lapis summoned her wings and floated down. "How about we start the day off at the beach, followed by a forest walk and ending with a relaxing swim at the lake?" Wulfenite suggested. Lapis got excited and said: "Sounds good. Let's do it!" The gems got ready and flew towards the beach. Wulfenite dive bombed on the beach. Lapis floated down silently. "Wait," Wulfenite said; "I forgot to bring a parasol." "Don't worry, the temple isn't far from here. You could just borrow one from the Crystal Gems." Lapis said. "Good idea. I'll be right back, dear." Wulfenite saw the temple. It wasn't far. He figured he'd just walk there and so he did. When he came close, he noticed how quiet it was in there. When he walked up the stairs, he suddenly stopped. He heard his name from in the temple. He crouched and sat next to the door.

"No way, he's too dangerous to keep here." He heard Garnet say. "But we can't make him leave, he's way too strong!" Pearl said. "You're right, but what else can we do?" Amethyst said. "We can take him on a mission to Homeworld and leave him there..." "He'll find his way back, I'm sure. We can lead him to an unidentified planet, he won't know how to go back." "This is an evil plan, you guys. I can't do it." "Didn't you see how he basically obliterated every gem we encountered? He could get Steven hurt!" "All the corrupted gems can do that too! The only difference is that they have intends to do so." "And what if he's just a spy? Send here to gather info and shatter us all?" A silence fell. Wulfenite couldn't believe what he heard: "What? They think I'm a spy? Didn't I tell them that I can shatter them all whenever I want? Or is that argument overruled by me 'trying to gather information'? I just-, I-" Wulfenite fell down onto his knees. "I can't believe they don't trust me... not even Pearl... I wouldn't have expected anything else from Garnet and Amethyst, but Pearl? Is Peridot involved, or worse, Lapis?" Wulfenite stood up as tears flowed down his face. "I've proven my loyalty multiple times! How could they even think I'm a spy?! They've heard the stories from Lapis! What if she's a spy? Or Peridot?" Wulfenite sighed: "I have to find a way to convince them I'm not evil. For now, I'll just play along." Wulfenite walked back to Lapis. When he got back, Lapis looked at him with worried eyes: "What's wrong, Wulfie? Did you cry?" Wulfenite sat down next to Lapis: "The Crystal Gems think I'm a spy, sent by Homeworld to collect info or something." Lapis got a mayor shock: "WHAT?! How dare they?! I was there with you all the time! They trust me, right?" Wulfenite said: "I think so, they didn't talk about leaving you behind on an unidentified planet." "They said that about you?! Rude!" "I figured we'd just play along, see where this is headed." "Luckily, we're good at acting, so that'll be easy." "I hope this won't ruin our remaining days here." "We are not going to separate. Wherever you go from now on, I'll follow you. Is Peridot involved?" "I don't think so. She wasn't in there. She is at the car wash with Steven and his dad." "Good. Let's go there. Steven needs to know." "You're right. Hop on." Wulfenite leaned forward, giving Lapis the opportunity to hop on his back. In a second, they arrived at the car wash.