Chapter 2

-Adeena's POV-

I hardly got an hour of sleep before Elle woke me up for school.

I groaned and got up, rubbing the sleep off my tired eyes.

Elle was already in the washroom taking a shower while I packed my bag for school, and hers as well.

My body throbbed, and my head pounded continuously, making me whimper in pain.

I zipped up the bags and my eyes flit towards the broken room door. The events of last night played in my head and I could feel the tears rising up.

Suddenly, the washroom door opened, revealing a towel-covered Elle. I forced myself to hold back the tears and faked a smile towards her as I walked into the washroom to wash up.

I had already taken a shower at dawn and had no time to take a shower right now. I quickly brushed, washed my face and walked out.

Elle was dressed in her baggy sweatshirt and old leggings and her hair combed. She sat quietly on the bed, her mind lost into it's own thoughts.

I slipped on my leggings, an old shirt and a sweater then left my hair open trying my best to cover the cuts on my forehead with my brunette strands.

"Elle, let's go" I said and grabbed my bag.

She silently gripped my hand, wearing her purple backpack on her back.

"Is Daddy home?" she asked, hovering near the broken room door.

I gulped, hoping he wasn't.

"I don't know Elle, but it's better if we stay quiet okay?" I explained.

She obeyed, nodding her head and slowly we walked down the stairs. I peeped into my dad's messy room, and saw him sleeping.

We sprinted towards the front door, grabbing the spare keys off the kitchen counter, I locked the door and let out a sigh of relief.

Our school wasn't far, neither was it good enough, but it was all we could afford since my dad hardly worked. Besides, it was better than staying at home, cooped up in a room and always in fear.
-

"I'll pick you up at three as always alright? Don't leave the classroom until I come." I told Elle as I dropped her off at her 3rd grade classroom.

She nodded in response and I smiled at her before walking away.

"Addy" she called out quietly.

I stopped in my tracks and looked back at her.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"I don't have any lunch. I'm hungry" she said sadly.

My heart hurt when she said that. We hadn't eaten food in a week, the only thing we had eaten was an apple and now we were living off of water and leftovers from our dad's dinner.

I sighed and walked towards her, crouching on my knees so that we would be of the same height.

"I have some money saved up. I'll buy you lunch today okay? Just come up to my class at 1" I said to her.

"I don't have a watch." she said.

"You can ask Miss Samantha. She's nice, isn't she?" I asked.

She nodded, a smile breaking out on her face.

I chuckled and hugged her tightly, before sending her into class.
-

It was almost 1 when our English class ended.