Chapter 65

-Adeena's POV-

"Baby girl, we need to talk" Demi stated, as she sat beside me. Her eyes were sad; her voice was croaky.

I don't want to.

I gave a hesitant nod while my demons had already began screaming at me.

"I know about the self-harm" she stated, a hint of disappointment evident in her voice laced with sadness.

My heart stopped.

Marissa really did tell her.

"Mar told me" she added, confirming my doubts.

My breathing became ragged and my eyes welled up instantly. My darkest, most shameful secret was out, and I didn't want to live with it.

"Addy...baby girl why didn't tell me?" Demi questioned.

Because I didn't want to be a burden.

Because my demons wouldn't let me.

Because I was ashamed.

But instead of saying the truth, I shrugged weakly. I heard a sigh, and I looked up at my mother's tired face.
She held my hand, and looked at me.

"Talk to me baby girl; please open up to me. You don't have to be ashamed, you don't have to worry about being judged. I'm here to listen and to guide you. Please, let me" she urged, her pleads so transparent.

I shut my eyes, and shook my head, allowing a tear to roll down my cheek.

"I can't, mom" I uttered.

"You have to try, my sweet girl" she said.

I looked at her with my glistening tears, and breathed deep, knowing that Demi was someone I could trust.

"I don't know where to start" I said, truthfully.

She nodded understandingly.

"Since when have you been doing this to yourself?" she asked.

"I started this year. I remember the first time I did it. I remember that night so clearly" I croaked.

"It was after Elle had fallen asleep. It was a night like any other-my father came home, drunk, and beat me, but more than that, even Elle got hurt and I couldn't bear that I let my younger sister get abused. I needed a release, a really bad one. I was just so angry at myself, at my dad, at life, that I cut myself. I continued to do so everytime I needed a release"

By the time I was done talking, Demi was in tears. I was almost about to break down, but I held back my tears, not allowing myself to be even more vulnerable than I already was.

"I'm sorry" Demi uttered, sniffling softly. I shook my head in response, wiping off her tears as my heart broke knowing that I was the cause to them.

"Can-can I see them?" she asked tentatively, her eyes shifting towards my covered arms.

-Demi's POV-

My emotions were all over the place. I was hurting, and upset and guilty all at the same time. Hearing Adeena open up to me about the first time she self-harmed hit me hard. I couldn't grasp the fact that Adeena's first cut was because she believed it was her fault for her father abusing Elle. My loathing towards her father only grew, and I was glad he was serving his rightful time.

I felt horrible for breaking down in front of her the way I did, but the story would break anyone's heart, even if that person was an enemy.

"Can-can I see them?" I asked, hesitating as I spoke.