Chapter 13

-Adeena's POV-

Today had been a long, hard and exhausting day and the image of my dad getting handcuffed and thrown into the cop car was an image I would never forget.

I only wondered of how Elle and I would now live. Where would we stay? Who would we stay with? These questions had been bugging me the entire day but what I craved for was comfort.

*Trigger Warning*

When Demi was with her family, who were the most kind and generous people I had ever met, I sneaked into the washroom and fumbled around for something sharp, hoping I could get my hands on a blade.

Soon, I found a razor and in no second was the sharp metal in the middle of my fingers. I stared at it, and without thinking twice, dragged it across my wrist several times, watching the blood bead up into a straight line.

*End*

"I should've killed you when I had the chance"

A salty tear rolled down my cheek.

"You're worthless Adeena"

Soon, many followed, one by one staining my cheeks.

"You're the worst daughter anyone could ask for"

I cried in fits, not being able to breathe. It felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest over and over again as the words swirled around in my head.

I covered my mouth to stop myself from crying out loud, but lay on the floor in a fetal position, wanting my mom's warm embrace to hold me close and keep me safe.
-

-Demi's POV-

"Momma...I don't know who is going to take care of them now. I don't feel comfortable sending them away without completely knowing where they're going" I said, as we sat in the kitchen, sipping on tea.

"Baby girl...you've always been so caring, and so loving, the fact that you saved them from their father is a huge thing. Why don't we wait for Dave to give us more information about them having relatives? Until then, they could stay with us. They need a safe home" my mom said.

I nodded, "They do" I whispered.

"You should've seen him, he was horrible to Adeena. What kind of a father does that?" I asked, annoyance and anger lacing my voice.

She kept quiet, and got up, kissing my forehead. "You're doing good by helping them honey" she said.

I smiled at that and taking my half tea-filled glass with me into the living room, cuddled up with Maddie and continued watching our favorite crime show.
-

-Adeena's POV-

Madison played with Elle as I sat quietly on the reading nook, staring out the window. I could hear Elle's giggles from the living room, and every once in a while I would smile when she would laugh out loud at something witty Madison had said.

"Am I disturbing?" I heard someone ask.

I tore my eyes away from the bright blue sky and saw Demi's mom, Dianna.

I shook my head in response, and brought my legs to my chest so that she could sit.

"The sky is beautiful isn't it?" she said.

"It is" I said timidly.

After a second on silence, she spoke up.

"Adeena, I want you to know that you can live with us as long as you like. If you're comfortable here, then this is where you'll stay until further arrangements can be made. We all want you to feel safe and protected." she said, her voice similar to Demi's.

I smiled slightly.

"Do you feel comfortable here?" she asked.

"I do. And I think Elle does too" I said honestly.

She smiled wide and I smiled in return.

"Thank you Mrs.De La Garza" I said softly.

"Oh call me Dianna honey. And it's no problem at all" she said, getting up.

"Can I have a hug?" she asked.

I nodded shyly and got up to hug her, wrapping my hands around her waist.

"You are a good sister Adeena, you've taken really good care of Eliena" she said, when we pulled away.

I couldn't protect her from our father.

I kept quiet, but smiled in response, and sat back down on the nook when she walked away into the living room.
-

The day was quietly spent, but my thoughts; they were loud. Urging me to cut again and again to make the pain go away. I could feel myself getting addicted to it, and fast.

I felt lost and broken, and although I knew my father couldn't hurt me anymore, I was still afraid.

I tried remembering the good and happy days when my mother was alive, and my father was kind but I had so little memories of it that it hurt even more.

But I would always remember something my mum would tell me-

Be soft but powerful, and always have courage.
_______________________________________

Hope you like the chapter!

Please vote by clicking the little star🌟 at the bottom!

Stay strong always❤