Chapter 26

-Adeena's POV-

14th September

Today, was the most mournful day for me. Today, was the day my mother passed away, 4 years back.

What I felt today was unexplainable. Every year on this day, I would stay isolated, cooped up in a room.

My heart ached with her memories, and I longed for her to come back and hold me close like she once used to.

For the first few months after she passed away, I cried for days and nights and the person who consoled me was my dad.

My father stayed strong for Elle and I, but in the dark of the night when I was up crying, I could hear his soft whimpers, grieving over the loss of his beloved wife. That's why it hurts me, surprises me that such a kind person could turn into someone so cruel, so dreadful.

I was 9, almost 10, when I lost my mother. Delaney was her name, and just as beautiful as the name is, so was she. She was caring, and affection and a great artist. She wrote poems as a hobby, but she was the most beautiful pianist.

So here I lay, on my bed, staring up at the ceiling with tears streaming down my face. My heart felt heavy and my throat choked up.

There was a soft knock on my door, but I didn't respond.

"I'm coming in honey" I heard Demi say, her voice soft.

I heard the door open, then close as she walked in and felt the bed dip down as she sat.

She stayed quiet for a few minutes, before saying-

"I know today is an extremely hard day for you. I know how terrible it is to lose someone close to you" she said.

I sat up, letting my tears flow down my cheeks.

She continued-

"I also know that although your mother isn't here, she's watching over you. Every day, and every night your mother is there even if you can't see her. In your heart is where she will remain and when you think of your happy memories with her, she will smile along with you"

I broke down in tears, and hugged Demi tightly.

"I miss her. I miss her so so much" I croaked.

"Oh baby girl, I know you do" Demi said softly, her arms lovingly wrapped around me.

She let me cry out my tears, and eventually when I stopped she pulled away.

"Maybe I won't be able to love you like your mother did, but I will give you the love that you deserve honey. You and Elle mean the world to me" she said.

Whimpering and sniffling, I said, "I love you Demi"

"I love you too sweetheart" she said and embraced me once again.
-

It was almost night time, and I was still cooped up in my room.

I sat in the balcony, on the cushion-chairs that were there, staring up at the sky.

The balcony door opened, and Elle walked in slowly. I wiped away the small tears that had escaped and sniffled.

"Hey, Elle. What happened baby girl?" I asked.

She shook her head in response, but sat on my lap. I knew Elle was hurting, and the fact that I could do nothing to make that pain go away made me feel horrible.

I wrapped my arms around her small waist, and pulled her closer into me.
We watched the sky fill up with stars.

"Addy, look" Elle uttered, pointing towards a bright star.

I watched the star, and smiled.

"Mommy's watching us" Elle said, reminding me of the day I had told her that whenever she saw a twinkling star, it was our mother.

Tears rolled down my eyes like a faucet, but I nodded in response. "She is" I said through my tears.

Elle looked at me, and bringing her hand up to my cheek, wiped away my tears.

"Mommy wouldn't want us to cry" she said, in hopes of consoling me.

I had the smartest sister.

"You're right. She wouldn't" I said, whimpering.

Eventually, the tears stopped and I sighed, my heart heavy with memories.

"Do you think daddy remembers what today is?" Elle asked abruptly.

I hadn't thought about that.

"I-I don't know" I said.

She nodded understandingly, and I knew then that my little sister was growing up. I didn't want her to, I wanted her to remain small, and innocent because the world is a hateful place, too cruel for kind people.

We stayed quiet, the only sounds were of the soft breeze.

"Elle, I love you" I said, wanting her to know that she meant a lot to me.

She stayed quiet for a while, when a whimper escaped her mouth, that's when I realized she was crying.

"Oh Elle" I croaked.

I embraced her, knowing how hard this was for her too.

"I really miss her Addy" she cried out.

"Baby girl I know, I do too. You know what Demi told me something, and it's that mom will always remain in our hearts and we will always her near us; watching over us. Does that make sense?" I asked, hopefully.

"It does" she said timidly, wiping her tears away.

"Demi gave me the teddy bear mommy had given me" she said, a small smile on her lips.

"She did?" I asked, happy to see her smile.

She nodded in response and I smiled.

"Addy?" she said, after a minute of silence.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Do you think I can call Demi, 'mom'?" she asked.

"Do you want to?" I asked.

Slowly, she nodded her head in response.

"Then of course you can Elle. She is our mother now" I said.

"And do you think you ever will?" she asked, as she looked up at me.

For that, I had no answer.

I pondered over that question, but no matter how hard I thought, I couldn't get myself to say 'yes'

So the question remained, I gave Elle no answer and she didn't ask again.

Will I ever be able to call Demi, 'mom'?
_______________________________________

I'm sorry for the late update.

Hope you like the chapter!

Please vote by clicking the little star 🌟 at the bottom!

Stay strong always❤