Chapter 4

-Addy's POV-

Elle gripped my hand tight as we walked back from school.

The leaves and trees rustled as the breeze flew through them, and I pulled my jacket closer to my body.

We reached our house, the silence surrounding us. We knew today our father wouldn't be home since Thursdays was always game night.
He would go to a bar, watch the game with his friends, get drunk and pass out.

I knew this since they had watched the game at our place for a few weeks when the bar was shut down for renovation. Those few weeks were filled with terror, anxiety and cries for both me and Elle.

When we got inside, I dropped my bag on the floor as Elle sat on the couch.

Luckliy, I found two fruits for the two of us.

I hadn't eaten anything for a week; I was living on water and bits and pieces of my dad's dinner leftovers.

I handed Elle the apple, as I bit into mine.

"I'm gonna finish my homework" I said after finishing my apple.

Elle kept quiet, as she skimmed through the limited channels on our TV.
-

It was 8:30 when I completed my home work, and went downstairs where Elle was doing her homework.

"Need any help, Elle?" I asked as I sat on the chair opposite her.

She shook her head, writing down the answer to a math question.

She was quiet today, quieter than usual.

"Elle, you okay?" I asked softly.

She nodded her head slightly, not saying a word.

Confused, I walked over to her, sitting on the floor so that I would be facing her.

"Baby girl? What happened?" I asked curiously.

She looked up at me, her honey brown eyes welling up with tears.

I held her hand tightly, as a tear dropped down, soon many others following.

She cried slowly, and my heart ached not knowing why.

I hugged her tightly, her small body shaking as she cried.

"I-I m-miss m-m-mommy" she cried out.

My heart broke.

I took in a shaky breath, as the memories of our loving mom resurfaced. I held in my tears, wanting to be the strong one among the two of us.

"Elle..." I started.

"You know what? Mommy's in a nice place now. She lives in the clouds and among the stars. She's always watching over us, I'm sure of it" I said, my voice soft, almost breaking as I fought hard to hold in the tears.

She sniffled, her tears lessening. She looked at me once again, and wiped away her tears.

"I wish we could see her" she whispered.

When she said that, an idea popped into my head.

I grabbed her small hand, and led her into our room, stopping near the window.

I looked at the bright stars, and immediately spotted a sparkling one.

"See that?" I said to Elle, pointing towards the beautiful star.

"Mm-hmm" she replied.

"That's mommy" I said slowly.

Her eyes lit up, a small smile creeping onto her face.

"It is?" she asked, amazed.

I nodded in response, chuckling slightly.

"She's always with us Elle, just not in the same way as she was before" I said.

She smiled at me, and looked back at the star filled sky, towards the twinkling star.
-

It was night, sometime after 12, as I lay on my bed, asleep, when my eyes shot open to the loud noise.

The front door banged shut, my dad's heavy footsteps making their way towards our room.

Elle got up, fear gleaming in her eyes as she looked at me, her eyes pleading for me to save us.

I picked her up friskly walking into the washroom and locking it.

I clamped my hand over my mouth as my breathing quickened, my eyes watering immediately.

"ADEENA...WHERE ARE YOU HONEY?" my dad yelled, his voice loud but sounding sickly sweet.

I gulped, my heart beats increasing, and my body sweating.

"A-addy, you're sweating" Elle whispered, tension evident in her voice.

I tried breathing, inhaling and exhaling long breaths and doing my best to stay calm.

Suddenly, the washroom knob moved vigorously as my dad tried to get in.

"GET AWAY!" I shouted eventually, the anger inside me increasing.

He laughed maliciously, finding joy in the amount of harm and fear he had put into us.

Elle cowered into the corner of the washroom, finding solace in the small space near the wall.

"COME OUT ELLIE! Don't you wanna watch TV?" he asked sweetly.

Elle looked at me, her eyes suddenly gleaming with excitement.

I shook my head vigorously at her, grabbing her close to me and hugging her tight as I cried silently.

"I wanna watch TV Addy. He's letting me watch TV" Elle said, happily.

I looked at her, wondering how simple it would be to be that innocent; that naive.

"No baby girl, no!" I cried out, trying to make her understand that this was just a trap; that he was still the lying, manipulative father he was.

But she was too young to understand, and I was too tired.

"LEAVE! PLEASE JUST LEAVE!!" I shouted at him through my tears, my body shaking.

"YOU'RE A WASTE OF SPACE ADEENA, YOU SHOULD'VE DIED WHEN YOUR MOTHER DID" he roared with so much hatred making me believe everything he said.

I should've.

His footsteps receded down the stairs and although I knew it was safe now, I stayed in the washroom.

My tears increased, and I felt weak and terrible. The pain and hurt I felt inside of me was unbearable but the only comfort I found was embracing Ellie tightly.

"Addy, please don't die" Elle whispered quietly, her tone laced with pain.

"Don't leave me" she added, tears flowing down her cheek.

I wiped the tears away gently, my heart aching with her words. I kissed her forehead and kept her close to me, not letting go.

"I won't Elle, I won't"
_______________________________________

Sorry for the late update guys!

*
Hope you like the chapter!

Please vote by clicking the little star🌟 at the bottom!

Stay strong always❤