Chapter 64

-Demi's POV-

"There's something you need to know Demi. It's about Adeena" she stated firmly.

Worry instantly rose up inside me, and my heart beats got faster. Marissa looked scared which only increased my concern.

"Go ahead Mar" I urged.

"Demi, Addy...she-she self harms" she revealed.

My heart dipped, my eyes grew wide and my jaw dropped. This couldn't be true; I would've noticed, I should've noticed. I didn't know what to say, there was absolutely nothing that I could think of right now.

"D...are you okay?" Marissa asked carefully, slightly shaking my arm.

I snapped out of it, and took a deep breath before saying something.

"A-are you sure?" I asked, hoping in some way it wasn't.

She nodded slowly, crushing my expectations and shattering my heart.

My baby girl. How much more would she have to suffer?

My eyes teared up, and I shook my head in disbelief. "N-no. Mar...she-she can't do this to herself, she can't" I cried out.

"Demi...calm down please. We'll figure this out, I'm sure we will" she consoled me.

I held myself together, I needed to know more. I pulled away from our short hug, and wiped away my small escaping tears.

"How did you find out?" I asked.

She hesitated, her own eyes tearing up slightly as she remembered. She broke eye contact, and when she looked up again, I could see the guilt in her eyes.

"I-I walked in on her cutting herself one night. I-I'm sorry Demi, I'm so sorry" she stated, fighting hard to keep her tears in.

I shut my eyes, and shook my head, still not wanting to accept the fact that my daughter had a self-harm problem-a struggle I've dealt with myself.

"How long have you known Mar?" I asked upfront.

She froze, looking at the floor, ashamed and nervous. I couldn't believe that my best friend would hide something so dangerous from me.

"Mar. Tell me" I ordered, my tone getting more angry.

"I-I've known for a while D" she replied.

Shocked and surprised, I sat up from the couch. I was angry and upset at the same time. My heart was breaking and I was trying so hard not to break down.

"Mar...you should go" I said.

"Demi, I need you to know that I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you, I swear I did but I didn't want to break Adeena's trust. I wanted her to be able to talk to me without the fear of me telling you but I knew I couldn't hide it from you for any longer. I would never want to hurt you D, you're my best friend" she spoke, her voice cracking in between.

My heart melted at her words and I knew she meant what she said. But, I couldn't forgive her all that easily. It was my daughter we were talking about, and maybe I was being childish but this wasn't something small, it was threatening and simply haunting.

"I know you would never hurt me Mar. I just hope you would've told me sooner" I said, sadly.

She nodded understandingly and got up slowly as she picked up her purse.
"Take care D. I'll see you soon" she said, flashing me a smile. I returned her smile with one of my own.

As soon as I heard the front door shut, I broke down. I sobbed as it all started to make sense-the sweaters and hoodies when the weather was bearable, and the sudden hesitation and uneasiness when anyone hugged her or touched her arm. My heart ached for her as I shut my eyes and my mind painted a picture of her cuts, I buried my head in my hands, as my body shook from my unstoppable cries of pain.

After a few minutes, my tears reduced. I sniffled and wiped away my tears. I knew I would have to talk to Adeena and I also knew it wasn't going to be easy, but it was necessary.

I got up from the couch, sighing tiredly. I took in a deep breath, and walked up the stairs, but before going into Addy's room, I went to mine. I washed my face, to get rid of the tear tracks and changed into my pajamas.

I then walked towards Adeena's room, stopping at the door as I took in a shaky breath. I knocked softly, and heard a small utter allowing me to enter. I opened the door, and saw her sitting at the nook, staring out her window.

She looked up at me slightly, then looked out the window again. I walked over to her, sitting down beside her cautiously. I noticed her wipe a tear away as I did, and my pain only intensified; she knew why I was here.

"What happened mom?" she asked, pretending to not know. Her voice seemed normal but her eyes; oh the sadness they held, it was heart-rending to watch.

"Baby girl...we need to talk"
_______________________________________

Another cliffhanger😈

Hope you like the chapter!

Please vote by clicking the little star🌟 at the bottom!

Stay strong, always❤