Let Us Cling Together..Part 2

17th April 1975

En route to Tokyo Japan

Brian's POV

Our time in Hawaii went by fast.  I did get some rest finally.  Partly due to the break in touring but also because Roger and I were on better terms.  After our talk, we resumed sharing a bed several nights and both of us got some recuperative sleep for once.  The situation waiting for us in London is looming but Japan beckons and I hope it is a nice distraction for now.  We boarded the Japan Airline flight and took off on time.  It's a long flight so I brought a few things to read and I am hoping for an in-flight movie to kill some time but wondered if it would be in Japanese. Roger picked up a new book as well when we browsed in a book shop at the Honolulu airport.  We took off and got settled in our row of seats that included us and a new assistant hired for our group.  Mike Murphy is mostly busy with helping Freddie.  They sat together and talked about some plans Freddie wanted to make for shopping in Tokyo.  While we waited to get something to drink I pulled out a book I bought with Roger's permission.  It was Dr. Spock's Baby Book.  He had rolled his eyes when I showed it to him but had agreed to let me buy it.  I promised I would report to him everything I learned about children at eight months of age.  That is how old Tiger Lily is right now.  I told Roger if anyone asked why I was reading it I would use Deacy's impending fatherhood as an excuse.

Speaking of Deacy.  Roger told him about the paternity suit and Tiger Lily when he arrived in Hawaii.  He was indignant on Roger's behalf but had expressed a hint of bitterness that Roger managed to beat him to the finish line on fatherhood.  Roger had emphasized it was a race he never wanted to run which assuaged Deacy's feelings.  To get his last jab in at Roger though, Deacy advised him he was taking the window seat on the plane.  Roger acquiesced.

I opened the baby book and decided to start from the beginning

I opened the baby book and decided to start from the beginning.  It was quite interesting reading and I got lost in it and didn't even notice the in flight movie had started.

"Your nails are very nice.."  I heard a female speak.  I looked up and saw the stewardess smiling at me.  I had just painted my left hand with white varnish that morning since we were resuming the tour.  I guess she saw it as I held my book up while reading. 

"Thank you.."  I replied.  The young woman was Japanese and had a lovely face.

"Would you something to drink?"  she asked me in perfect English.   I was impressed and smiled at her.

"Do you have any juice?"  I asked her and she brought a plastic card over to show me my options.  All the choices were displayed in several languages. I saw they had grapefruit juice.  I pointed to the picture.  "I'll take that one please.."  I told her.  I turned and tapped Roger's arm.  "Do you want a drink?"  I asked him.  He was watching the film and nodded at me without ignoring the movie.

"Yeah...get me a coke..."  he told me and I went to tap Deacy but noticed he was asleep.  He was slumped against Roger's shoulder and had covered himself with a blanket.