Future Management...Part 1

22nd April 1976

London

Brian's POV

"My ear and my head are killing me..."  Roger informed me as we left the customs area of the airport and headed for the exit.  He had kept his sunglasses on to manage the glare of the bright lights in the customs section.  It was irritating after being in a dark airplane cabin so long.  His ear had been bothering him since we swam in the ocean on our little break.

"We'll be home soon and you can lay down.."  I told him as he made our way down the walkway.  I was grateful our luggage was being handled for us and would be delivered to the house tomorrow.  It was such a long journey home from Australia and our flight had been delayed leaving from our fuel stop in India.  We arrived in London five hours later than scheduled.  I was completely turned around on what time of day it is and what it felt like it should be.  We are both tired.  We arrived at the exit area and found a uniformed man holding up a sign that read May/Taylor on it.  I waived to him and he nodded as he approached us.

"Are you Mr. May and Mr. Taylor?"  he asked me. 

"Yes.."  he smiled and began walking us out of the exit doors.  We followed him to a dark grey Rolls Royce.  It felt quite ostentatious to travel in this type of vehicle.  I guess John Reid only travels in style.  Roger and I shared raised eyebrows as we slipped in the backseat.  The driver got in and began our journey to Fulham.

"You gents are in that band aren't ya?" the driver asked us.  He had a distinct East end accent.

"Yes...we're in Queen..."  I replied to him and he grinned widely in the rear view mirror at me.   

"I saw you on the telly....your big song!  Congrats on being #1!"  he said to us with enthusiasm.  I smiled and Roger tried to provide a semblance of acknowledgement.  I could see his headache was causing him real pain.   His ear made him irritable.   

"Thanks...it's quite exciting...but we are exhausted to be honest...been on tour for months.."  I informed him.  He seemed to get the message that we aren't in a talkative mood and resumed his focus on the road.  I was grateful.  It was a silent drive until we reached our house.  He pulled up to the curb as the driveway had both our cars and he then got out to open the door for us.  Roger slid out and thanked him as I grabbed my bag and stood on the sidewalk.

"Good luck gents..."  the driver said to us as he got back in the car and left.  Roger was halfway to the front door when I started my own path there.  It was nighttime but I hadn't even bothered to check my watch since I needed to reset the time zone.  Roger had the front door open and was inside as I crossed the threshold.  He dumped his flight bag by the stairs and pulled off his jacket.  I took it from him and he nodded thanks as he climbed the stairs in silence.  Clare came walking out of her bedroom when she heard us and looked like she had been asleep for a while.  

"You're late..."  she said to us softly.  Roger walked over and kissed her head and hugged her briefly.

"Hey Bear....I need a shower and some paracetamol..."   he informed her as he pulled away and headed into our bedroom.  I climbed up the stairs and pulled Clare into a big hug.

"Our flight was delayed when we re-fueled..."  I explained and kissed her cheek as we parted.  "It's good to see you..."  I told her as we looked each other over.  "Sorry about Rog....he has a bad headache and an earache.."  I explained.  She nodded understanding and watched as I walked to Tiger Lily's door.  I gently opened it and peeked inside.  The room was lit by moonlight and I crept in to get a look at her.  She was sound asleep and curled up on her side on her cot.  She looked absolutely precious and a calm smile broke out on my face as I slipped back out of her room.   Clare was headed back into her room and I went into mine and dumped my bag on the floor.  I was exhausted and looked forward to sleeping in my own bed.  I reached down and grabbed my medication from my bag and headed for the bathroom.  I set them on the shelf as I saw Roger in the shower.  He had a bottle of pain reliever set out so I knew he already took something for his pain.  I quickly took my dosage and brushed my teeth.  I went back into the room and peeled off my travel clothes and dumped them in the hamper.  It felt nice to reach into my own dresser for some sleep wear and I got dressed.  I was under the blanket and fast asleep before Roger even made it to bed.