Life Is Real....So Real....Part 1

20th November 1980

Surrey / London

Roger's POV

"When will you get back to Montreux?"  Jo asked me as we relaxed in my new sauna.   It had been added on recently after the construction of the pool house on the property.  It felt good after we both had a long swim in the pool. 

"It will have to be in January and I have to finish up my album then if I want it released in the spring..."  I leaned back on the wooden bench and inhaled the hot moist air.  It felt good in my lungs and I let out a deep exhalation.  Jo was lounging on the bench next to mine and we were both wrapped in large white towels.

"You have such a tight schedule these days..."  Jo remarked as she wiped some sweat from below her eyes.  "When do you even sleep?"  she asked.  I huffed and half laughed at her question.  

"I don't get much to be honest...I know I'm trying to pack too much in at once..."  I agreed.  Jo looked at me intently.  

"And are you still sleeping alone?"  she questioned.  I was. Have been since that blow up with Brian in New York.  I was so tired of his underlying distrust in me.  This incident seemed to have made something inside me crack.  I needed a break from dealing with him.  I had moved into my own room at home and we had managed to avoid having a real conversation about our relationship.  It was easy since we have been so busy. 

"I am...still sleeping in my fake bedroom.."  I said amusement.  While there were many jokes made about Brian and I's fake bedrooms, they had unfortunately become our real bedrooms of late.   "If we are with the kids we do use the sitting area of our room, but at night I am in my room..."  Jo seemed to absorb this and was silent for a minute as she looked at me.  

"How does Brian feel about it?"  I made another huffing sound and tried to find the right words.

"I guess you could say that we are not really talking about 'us' right now..."  I explained.  "When we got home Brian threw himself into the Flash Gordon soundtrack work and hasn't been home that much..."  Jo seemed surprised and I knew she was thinking about the kids.  "When he is here he spends his time with the kids..."  I added and she nodded understanding.  

"Is that where he is today? Working on the film music?"  Jo asked and I nodded.  

"Yeah...he's with the composer of the film and they are doing some interview..."  I stretched my legs out and sighed.   "He should be home soon...he has to pack since we leave in the morning for Zurich..."  

"How do you feel about things between you right now?"  Jo then asked.  I closed my eyes and shook my head. 

"I don't know Jo...but I guess I'll know soon...I can't really avoid him on tour..."  I responded.

Jo stayed for lunch and we enjoyed some time with the kids.  Afterwards I walked her to her car and we had a long goodbye since I probably wouldn't see her again until closer to Christmas.  She was preparing for a trip to New York with her sister and I was headed out for some European tour dates.  The kids were watching some tv when I came back inside.   I went upstairs and ran into Mia coming out of Jimi's room carrying laundry.  

"Do you know if Brian will be home for dinner?"  she asked.   I knew he planned to spend the evening with the kids before we left.

"Yeah... he should be back anytime...he has to pack and he planned to spend the rest of the day with the kids.."  I answered.  She smiled at me and then looked quite serious.

"I know it's none of my business...but is something going on between you?"  she asked in a careful tone.  I felt bad.  I know she is trying to keep her distance from our private life but the fact remained that anything going on with Brian and I did affect the family.  That included her.