Everybody Play The Game - Part 5

30th September 1980

New York City, New York

Brian's POV

"Hello..."

"Hey - we just got the call about the U.S. charts...we'll be number one next week!"  It wasn't really a surprise at this point.  The song had charted at #3 this past week.  We had hit number one with 'Crazy Little Thing' and now we're doing it again with 'Another One Bites The Dust.'  I felt a pang of envy since my song, 'Save Me,' hadn't fared as well but it probably wasn't the right genre for the moment.  It seemed like the type of songs Freddie and Deacy wrote were really striking hot with a resurgence of rock-a-billy and funk.  I was happy for my bandmates.  I found a smile for Deacy.

"That's fantastic!"  I responded.  "Congrats Deaks!"  I told him and hoped it came across sincerely.

"Thanks Bri....we can celebrate tonight!"  he said excitedly.  "See you at the club..." 

"Alright..."  I said back and hung up the phone.  I got up from the bed and walked to the bathroom to watch Roger style his hair.  He was spraying his roots and eyeing his work in the mirror.  I really like his hair at this length but he groaned about how challenging it was to keep styled.  He was toying with the idea of cutting it shorter on top.

"Who was on the phone?"  Roger asked as he used his fingers to fix a spot on his hair.  

"Deaks...we're number one next week..."  I told him.  Roger grinned and looked at me using the mirror.  

"That's great!"  he said with a broad smile.  He then gave me a furrowed brow.  "You don't seem as thrilled as you should be...we're number one Bri!"  I found another smile for him and walked into the bathroom and stood behind him.  I checked my hair and ran my fingers through each side to fluff out the volume and loosen some curls that had dried too tight.

"I'm happy...just a bit tired is all..."  I responded.  Roger didn't say anything but moved his eyes back to his hair.  

"You going to be okay for tonight?"  he questioned.  "You know how long these parties go..."  He is right.  It is the end of the North American tour and our after parties were usually all night affairs.  We had left Madison Square Garden right after the show ended so we could shower and dress for the big bash.  A nightclub had been reserved for our use and it promised to be one of our best parties.  Sitting on top of the charts was the ultimate way to end our tour.   I was up for it.  I didn't have a choice anyway.  I had to be there.  

"I'm good..."  I answered and tried to appear confident in my answer.  Roger grinned hearing this.

"I need you there...help me raise a glass to Bonham..."  Roger commented as he finished his hair.  John Bonham, the drummer for Led Zeppelin, had died a few days ago and Roger had been shook up by the news.  Bonham was his favorite drummer.  It spelled the end of Zeppelin and all of us were saddened by this.  I stepped back to let him pass by and reached for the eyeliner pencil on the vanity.  Since we might have pictures taken tonight I quickly drew a thin line under each eye.  I stood back to check my appearance in the mirror.

"Shit!"  I heard Roger shout.  I walked into the bedroom to find him staring at a jacket he had laid out on the bed.  "There's a fucking tear in the armpit!"  he complained as he showed me the rip in the satin material.  Roger tossed the jacket over a chair in disgust.  He walked to the wardrobe and grabbed a burgundy jacket from a hanger and slipped it on as he walked to stand in front of the mirror.  I went in the wardrobe for my own jacket.  I stood trying to decide if I wanted a sportscoat or a leather jacket.  It was getting pretty cool at night.  Roger walked to the bathroom as I mulled over my decision.