If You Make It To The Top..And You Want to Stay Alive - Part 2

17th August 1979

Saarbrucken Germany

Roger's POV

"Here she is with a toy we got her..."  I explained as I showed off another photo from Tiger Lily's 5th birthday party.  She had whined and begged for this toy that one of her little schoolmates had.  It was some type of drawing template for designing clothes.  "She wanted this toy most of all and Brian found it in a shop in London..."  

"I think my niece has one of those

"I think my niece has one of those..."  Crystal told me as he smiled at the picture of my daughter.  "Wow Rog!  She is getting so big!"  he remarked to me.  I felt proud and grinned at Crystal.  Brian walked up and smiled at us.   "Bri! Tiger Lily is growing up fast...she is such a cutie!"  Crystal said to Brian as he eyed the photo.  Immense joy spread over Brian's face.

"She's is a beauty..."  Brian answered and beamed at me.  There was a loud noise from the backstage area and we all turned to look at Ratty throwing his hands up in the air.

"Fucking monitor!"  he shouted and we all groaned at the sight of Ratty kicking the piece of equipment as Deacy looked on.   

"It's going to be one of those shows..."  Crystal remarked as he laughed and walked back to finish attending to my drums.  Brian and I shrugged as we resumed our spots for rehearsal.  We ran through our shortened setlist for the festival and felt we were solid despite the technical problems that seemed to plague our rehearsal.  But I guess that it was the run through is for.  After leaving the electrical issues to the experts we all took off for a party at our hotel being held by the festival performers.  We had not met most of the other acts and were introduced by the promoter as we all enjoyed some good German food and beer.  I soon switched to a premium Russian Vodka that Freddie has asked for from the bar staff.  He and I imbibed as everyone got loose and a heady party atmosphere led us into the late hours of the night.  

Brian spent a lot of time talking with Rory Gallagher as he was one of his guitar heroes.  Rory is one of the nicest guys in the business and he and Brian sat in a somewhat transfixed state drinking beer and talking music.  The festivities began to wind down around 3 am and I stumbled over to Brian feeling pretty soused.  

"Hey..."  I said and didn't want to say anything in front of Rory as they sat at a small table.  Brian leaned over and I bent down to whisper in his ear.  "I'm heading up....are you coming?"  I asked him.  Brian glanced over at Rory and then shrugged.  

"Maybe in a bit...go ahead..." he said quietly.  I nodded understanding though I felt a little put out as I left the table and and placed a lingering stare upon him.  I noticed Rory watching me and turned back with a sigh as I headed for the lift.  I leaned against the brass railing in the elevator car as I rode up to our suite.  The walls were mirrored and I caught my reflection.  The face I saw seemed older to me.  I really felt I like I actually looked my age.  30!  Fuck! It was hard to believe I had left my 20's.  I wondered for a moment if my best years were behind me.  I turned my head away from the reality starting back at me from the walls around me and focused on the floor indicator to see how quick I could get to my room.  I was soon stepping off and walking a little crookedly to my suite.  After getting inside I tossed my room key towards the table and let my jacket slide off my arms as I went for a piss.  I relieved myself and went ahead and pulled off my tight trousers and shirt and remained standing in my briefs as I looked myself over in the long mirror in the bathroom.  I started with my legs and wished they were longer like Brian's.  Okay -  maybe not that long but still.  They could be longer.  I could be a bit taller in my opinion.  I got to my stomach and reached down and grabbed at the soft middle and felt like I could pinch too much there.  I frowned as I let go of my fat and looked at my torso.  There was a semblance of a tan from using the outdoor pool at the hotel in Munich and at home.  Some sun on me looked good and I smiled a little at that observation.  I held my arms out away from me and appreciated they were tone and bit more built up than they used to be.  There was actually a bit a muscle there and I was impressed.  Certainly more defined than Brian's skinny arms.  I formed a smile at that revelation.