When Your Radials Squeal..Part 2

A/N - the above photo is a reminder of Roger's little green monster.

I hope everyone is well and finding something to brighten their days.  Brian posted a complete cover of 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' on Instagram today (March 30, 2020).  I still can't believe out of all The Beatles songs he could choose - it is the title of the first book in this series.  I cried listening to him sing and play.  It was just what I needed to warm my heart and soul.  Thanks Bri!

26th August 1976

Surrey England

Brian's POV

"What is that supposed to mean?"  Roger replied to our rescuer's curt remark about us being the people who bought Meadow Hall.  His tone spoke of his extreme displeasure at her attitude.  The pain in my knee was quickly replaced by the pain of listening to the escalating class war taking place in the car.  I closed my eyes and hoped for a brief car ride.

"The value of these homes is unstable enough with our economy.  We don't need your kind bringing the price down any lower...."  the woman responded bluntly.  I was offended by her remark but just wanted to get home and get away from this.  My knee was aching and so was my head now.  I reached over and motioned to Roger to stop this.  It is clear she is a snob and thinks little of us, despite not knowing us, but she did stop and offer a ride.  I tried to focus on the sole redeeming quality she seemed to contain.  Roger shoved my hand away and leaned forward in the seat.  I realized this car ride was probably about to end.

"Your kind????  What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"  Roger yelled at her.  "You know....the people selling their home had no issue with us buying their property.....our money is as good as yours.....if not better.....tell me...Madam....did you earn your money with hard work or did you simply inherit it from your dear old Pah..Pah????"  Roger said to her in a fake affected accent.  The woman hit her brakes and we both went forward in our seats.  I grabbed the edge of the front seat and sighed.  She stopped and turned to look at us both.

"My home has been in my family for a hundred years....we have always taken pride in this quiet and respectful community and the caliber of our neighbors.....now every bloody actor and pop star is moving into Surrey and bringing their decadent lifestyle and coterie of riffraff with them..."  she lectured us with narrowed eyes and definitely a narrow view of people in the entertainment industry.   

"Thank you for stopping....I appreciate it...."  I said to the woman as I opened the car door to get out.  Roger grabbed my arm and kept at her.  My headache began to intensify.

"So you judged of us simply because of the business we are in?  You don't even know a damn thing about me....or him....."  Roger responded to the woman with conviction.  "Let me tell you something...."  he said as he looked her straight in the eyes and kept hold of my arm.  "We moved out here to provide a quiet and safe environment for my daughter to grow up and to get peace from the riffraff that tried to invade our lives in London....the coterie that share our home are my sister, who is my daughter's nanny and also happens to be his girlfriend and my two year old daughter...."  Roger informed her in a calmer voice as he pointed at me.  "By the way....who are our most frequent visitors?   Our parents!  Who are kind middle class people who raised good children and ensured we are well educated...."  Roger kept his gaze on the woman as her understanding of us shifted.  Her prim expression softened a bit but her lips remained pursed.  

"Well....I know for a fact you've had a few parties....some neighbors noted a few occasions with many visitors and quite a bit of noise..."  she responded in a challenging tone.  I couldn't help but smile a little and Roger laughed out loud.  The woman almost looked offended.