I'm The Invisible Man..Part 1

20th May 1977

Switzerland to London

Roger's POV

We had only been gone twelve days but when you are traveling with a newborn and a toddler, it can be a little taxing.  The continental tour of Europe was complete and the entire lot of us had traveled to the airport for the flight home to London.  We had the start of our British dates in a few days but could at least rest at home tonight.  Our flight took off on time and we were headed west to England.  Brian and Clare were sharing a row on the plane and Alli was seated next to Tiger Lily behind them.  The flight wasn't full and for once I was seated by myself.  It was only two hours but considering I rarely get any alone time I savored it.  I donned my sunglasses and closed my eyes.  Maybe I should correct myself.  Prescription sunglasses.  Yeah - since Jimi was born several days before his due date I couldn't escape my eye exam.  Lo and behold, I was told I need glasses and fitted on the spot.  I have a pair of regular ones but wouldn't dare be seen in them in public.  I know Buddy Holly and Lennon made wearing specs cool but I am a bit more Roy Orbison and need the shades to manage my vision problems.  So I had them fix up a few pair of sunglasses for me to use when I'm with the band.  When I am out and about.  Brian had been empathetic and didn't tease me.  He was so relieved I finally got my eyes checked.  I am also relieved in a way.  I can certainly read better and driving at night has improved.

I was glad to be lost in my thoughts as we travelled home.  I had been bothered by some interviews we did when visiting Rotterdam.  Some English music journalists had asked for time with us and we gladly offered it as a preview for our British dates.   The first man we spoke with was from Melody Maker and had mostly talked with Freddie and Brian.  Deacy didn't seem to mind as I know he isn't keen on talking but I grew a bit miffed when the man was finishing up with us and had only asked me one question.  And it was about my daughter and my relationship status.  There wasn't one inquiry about my drumming, my singing or writing.  I was left feeling not such much as a musician but a pin up boy for the group.

The other reporter was from Record Mirror and worked with Rosemary Horide.  I hoped this interview would glean a better result.  His agenda seemed only to get a fluff piece and asked us to complete personal profiles of ourselves to print in the magazine.  His actual questions for an article were about our hair and clothes.  He asked me more than one question but it was only in regards to where I had purchased my shoes and jacket and who did my hair.  So I was still a poster pin up.  When I completed his questionnaire I bullshitted half my answers in disgust.

None of us were thrilled with the interviews but it seemed like a pattern had developed

None of us were thrilled with the interviews but it seemed like a pattern had developed.  The focus was often on Freddie and Brian.  They were the imminent members of the group.  The two out front that all the fans could easily see.  Deacy was happy to be in the corner doing his own thing but I was slowly falling into the shadows behind my kit.  As much as I gave at each performance, the only time anyone really sees me is for one song up front and at the final bow of the night.  Other than that I am the backbeat and the mouthpiece that comes from the misty backdrop of the machine generated fog that hovers over our stage.  I was beginning to feel a bit invisible.