Baby! You've Been Had..Part1

London  May 1975

Roger's POV

"I was thinking we could go look at new cars after the meeting.."  Brian suggested to me as he took the grill cheese sandwich out of the skillet and set it on my plate.  I knew he was trying to give me something to look forward to after my meeting in a few days and I liked the idea.

"I'd like that.."  I told him.  He looked happy at my response and turned back to the stove to make himself a sandwich.  I took a bite of my dinner and savored the soft melted cheese with the toasted bread.  The edges were a little burned but it was a much better result than I would have got making the sandwich myself.  I took another bite and watched Brian as he stood over the stove cooking.  He turned off the heat and placed his own sandwich on a plate and joined me at the table.   

"I guess we need to do laundry.."  I told him as we ate our meal.  "We probably have six loads.."  I commented as I thought about the piles of laundry sitting in our living room.  We had unpacked our luggage this morning and made several stacks of sorted clothes needing washing.  Brian glanced at the piles and nodded.

"We can go to the launderette on Holland Road.  It shouldn't be too busy this time of day.." he remarked.  I finished my sandwich and went to find some bags and baskets for the clothes.  I wasn't sure they would all fit in my car.  The telephone rang so I dropped the basket and walked to the phone by the couch.

"Hello..."

"Roger...Hi!  It's Jim!...  I'm glad I caught you....something has happened and I need to see you both in my office first thing tomorrow morning.."  he told me and he sounded distressed.  I wondered what this was about.  My stomach churned.

"Well what happened?"  I asked him with concern.  There was a pause on the phone.  It un-nerved me.

"Roger...I don't know how to tell you this...."  Jim started and I felt my legs get weak at those words and sat down on the couch.   "Shit Roger...uhh.  Kim died!   She passed away..."  Jim announced in a regretful manner.  I felt a wave of emotions roll over me as I reached my arm out towards Brian and gasped at the news.  I couldn't speak.  I just looked at him with complete horror in my eyes.

"Roger?"  I heard Brian say my name with grave concern and quickly felt him at my side on the couch.  I was shaking my head in disbelief and almost dropped the phone.  Brian grabbed the receiver and pulled me close to him for support.  He took over the call.

"Jim...it's Brian....what's going on?"  he asked him with panic in his voice.  It was the same panic rising in my body as I replayed the words Jim had spoke to me.  I let myself fall against Brian as I felt a little faint.

"Oh my god!"  Brian almost shouted and pressed me close to him.  Tears formed in the corner of my eyes and my head was swimming.  I really thought I might pass out but kept hold of myself.  

"We'll.....we'll be there first thing....yes....okay then..."  Brian hung up the phone and held me in a tight hug.  The tears that had threatened slipped down my cheeks and I could feel myself shaking against him.  Brian ran his hand across my back and then moved it up on my head.

"Rog...it's going to be okay..."  he told me though he didn't sound very sure himself.  I couldn't move or speak.  I was trying to figure out what I was feeling.   Part of me was angry at her for doing this....all of this.  I also felt really sad that she was gone.  I kind of hated her but she had a child and now she was gone.  That child didn't have her mother any more.  Wait!  That's my child!  My child doesn't have a mother any more!  I felt a new wave of panic rip through me and I pulled back from Brian's arms and looked at him.  I know I must have looked undone as his eyes grew large as I stared at him.