Kings Will Be Crowned..And The Word Goes Around..Part 4

A/N - The warning regarding homophobic language and abuse themes still applies

6th December 1976

Truro

Roger's POV

I should have never come back here.  We should have packed some bags and gone to a resort or gone for a visit in Brighton with Trevor and Wilkie.  But I can't change what has happened. And I have to go find out what happened to my father.  I drove my mother to the hospital and felt a mixture of intense anger and also dread.  Did my father have a heart attack?  Is he dead? Was he faking to avoid spending a night in jail?  I got us parked and made our way to the visitors desk.  We were advised to go to the third floor and ask for the charge nurse.  We arrived on the floor and found the nurses station.  An older woman wearing a nurses uniform and white cardigan greeted us.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes...we were told to ask for the charge nurse...we are here to see a patient...Michael Taylor.."  I explained to the woman.  Her eyes widened but she kept a composed expression.

"I'm the charge nurse....Miss Gaines...are you family?"  she asked us.  

"I'm his son Roger....this is his wife, Winnifred...."  I explained.  The nurse gave us a look of surprise and glanced towards the hallway.

"Ummm....I'm afraid I'm confused....a Mrs. Taylor is already here and is with Mr. Taylor right now...." she informed us in a calculated tone.   My stomach dropped.  His fucking girlfriend was here and had told them she is his wife.  My mother looked absolutely mortified.

"Well....I guess I'll just wait here then..."  she informed me in a curt manner and walked over and sat down in a chair in the waiting area.  I knew my mother was embarrassed right now but there is nothing I can do about it.  I turned to look at the nurse.

"For your information...that woman in my father's room is not his wife..."  I explained to her.  The nurse looked conflicted but I didn't want to waste any more of my time dealing with this situation.  I also didn't want my mother sitting out here alone for any length of time.  "Can I see him please?"  I asked the nurse.  She nodded and cleared her throat.  

"He's in room 312...follow me..."  she advised.  We began walking down the corridor and I saw a door open on a room.  I instantly recognized the woman coming out.  It was her.  Moira Dunny.  The woman who had been with my father for almost ten years.  A woman who knowingly lived and slept with a married man.  A man with a good and caring wife and two children.  She looked older than last time I saw her.  Her red hair was faded and she had developed some wrinkles around her eyes and mouth.  She didn't look as young and full of vigor.  But I guess my Dad didn't either.  She caught site of me and her mouth dropped open a little.  She stopped and seemed to hesitate coming any closer.

"Thanks for your help..."  I told the nurse and she got the hint and walked off.  I turned back to face my father's mistress. 

"Hello Roger..."  she actually spoke to me and her voice was low and cautious.  I got closer to her and I could feel she was intimidated by my presence.  "It's good to see you.."  her sentiment felt forced.  I know I am probably the last person she expected to show up.

"So he's alive then?"  I asked her bluntly.  She nodded slightly in response.

"Yes..."

"Well..that's a shame..."  I remarked  to her. She looked shocked at my statement and her brow furrowed.

"That's a horrible thing to say about your own father..."  she scolded.  I grinned at her as I walked past her to step inside his room.  I could feel her disapproval.